Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted 100-200GB Folder Off My Hard Drive By Mistake! Recovery--

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Okay I'm looking for real tried and true replies from people whom have successfully recovered deleted files from a Hard Drive.

The other day I pulled an oops moment and right clicked a folder on my external hard drive, than hit delete. It's a massive 100-200GB... All went down the drain. After doing so I let the hard drive sit for an hour or so in case it was still deleting stuff, turned it off, & now I'm here. I haven't turned it back on since... I haven't defraged it, or anything of that nature.

I'm using Windows Xp, and need to know how in the world I can get the folder containing countless files that took 12+ years to archive back? Can someone help me? I'm willing to use any free, or paid for recovery app. But the files are sensitive, I will not allow anyone else to do it at say a store.

I must note the external drive is model "WD20EARS" 2TB Hdd by Western Digital, which is an "ADVANCED FORMAT DRIVE." I don't know if that matters when using a recovery app. It should still essentially be NTFS, but with the AFD structure alignment. If that makes sense... I mean when you buy these and use it on an old system you have to realign the drive with WD software just once (after purchase/format). I really don't think that would matter anyways. But I've only got one shot at this...

Someone please help this is 12+ years worth of Data! I'm sure the data is still on the platter. I haven't written anything to the drive since, it's been off, unplugged.

Thank You

P.s.
Please post but state personal experience with massive recovery. There's possibly thousands of files in this folder, all varying in size. Mostly large files which are home office data disc backup files in the obvious 700mb range, & a heap of 100's of smaller files which are docu scans. I just want to recover the WHOLE FOLDER, not selectively pick and choose. I want everything in there back!

Edited by superstar, 28 August 2012 - 10:42 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The only program I've had experience with is Recuva. It pulled back large amounts of data but nothing as massive as yours. It will not recover to the same drive/partition you want to recover data from. Makes sense if you think about it. That means you would need another drive to recover the data to.

lady_jodie

lady_jodie

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have used ShadowCopy on a Vista system. It seems like it would work for you too.

https://www.uwec.edu...nXP/shdwcpy.htm