Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zone alarm pro free trial

• Please log in to reply

poplin

poplin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[SIZE=7]After I downloaded zone alarm pro, the next time I tried to use my Internet service 'Netscape" I received this error message

"C\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE SERVICE\DIALER.EXE IS NOT A VALID WIN 32 APPLICATION).

I decided to uninstall it through the install/uninstall program in control panel and thought the problem would be fixed. Unfortunately it still won't allow me to connect and gives the same screen error.

I am running win. xp ver.5.1 and service pack 2, I have decided to just trust my xp firewall after all the trouble this has caused. I am only on my laptop now because it allowed me to start a new connection with Juno, however, it still won't allow me to access my established account with Netscape.

I am totally lost, I am not great at fixing things on the PC, but I can follow instructions.

So, to the person who thinks they can help I am hoping to hear from you soon, I haven't been able to get access to my account for 3 days. I don't want to download zone pro again.

Thank you for reading

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just to touch base here :
1) Do you have the latest release of the Netscape Service?

2) Have you tried the Netscape FAQs or contacting Netscape Service?
Help Centre

3) Were you running XP's firewall with ZoneAlarm Pro's?

4) Did you try contacting ZoneAlarm about the problem? There may be a compatibility issue. ZoneAlarm's FAQs : Service & Support

I use the free version, but you should have been asked whether you wanted to allow dialer.exe to access the Internet or act as a server. Did you check the settings under ZoneAlarm's Program tab?

If it is still a problem with ZA uninstalled, there may be some registry keys affecting your use of the Netscape Service. Try searching your registry using Zone Alarm, ZoneAlarm, Security, or some such keywords to see if you can identify any present. Or use a Registry Cleaner utility. Either way, back up your registry.

Also, check Windows Add/Remove utility for any remants ZA may have left. Check also your Startup running processes from Start>Run>msconfig to see if there is anything uninstall missed for ZA. Just a long shot on these. Also, search your hard drive using search words for ZoneAlarm to see if uninstall missed anything.

Ron

poplin

poplin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Just to touch base here :
1) Do you have the latest release of the Netscape Service?  YES

2) Have you tried the Netscape FAQs or contacting Netscape Service?
Help Centre
    NO JUST THE ZONEALARM

3) Were you running XP's firewall with ZoneAlarm Pro's?   NO JUST ZONEALARM

4) Did you try contacting ZoneAlarm about the problem?  There may be a compatibility issue.  ZoneAlarm's FAQs : Service & Support  YES - It was suggested that I do something with the Registry (I have never done this before and I couldn't find any clear instructions, very vague)

I use the free version, but you should have been asked whether you wanted to allow dialer.exe to access the Internet or act as a server.  Did you check the settings under ZoneAlarm's Program tab? I did look there, however, by the time I found out how to do that I guess I had already answered wrongly.  I thought I was reasonably intelligent on a PC till now!

If it is still a problem with ZA uninstalled, there may be some registry keys affecting your use of the Netscape Service.  Try searching your registry using Zone Alarm, ZoneAlarm, Security, or some such keywords to see if you can identify any present.  Or use a Registry Cleaner utility.  Either way, back up your registry.  I'm not sure how to search the registry (I will look it up). .

Also, check Windows Add/Remove utility for any remants ZA may have left.  Check also your Startup running processes from Start>Run>msconfig to see if there is anything uninstall missed for ZA.  Just a long shot on these.  Also, search your hard drive using search words for ZoneAlarm to see if uninstall missed anything.  I did search the hard drive for any left over bits and found nothing.  So the best advice seems to be using a Registry Cleaner.  (Do you suggest a certain one).  I am embarrased to say that I don't know how to do the mswconfig method either.  I fix simple problems but I guess I will have to buy a book if I have to know how to do all of these things.  All because of one download which, after this I think will be my last.

However, I appreciate the time you took to think about the problem and to help.

LC

View Post

Edited by poplin, 05 June 2005 - 05:27 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For registry use you can read about it at this site which is as good as any other :

Care and Feeding of the Windows Registry

For a registry cleaner I like this one :

RegSeeker - Free

You can also use RegCleaner.

Zone Alarm is a great firewall. It keeps all my ports stealthed and have never had a problem with it. It's been a no problem utility for me so far...knock on wood. :tazz:

Certainly hope the registry cleaner does the job for you, but you just may have to do a search yourself.

Ron