Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok that's fine Phill thank you, so I'll need to go to the Malware board on here now and just say need help with it? God I sound so thick sometimes :bashhead:
Oops see what I mean sorry just noticed the above Thanks again I'll pop back once that's all sorted :thumbsup:

Edited by haloburn, 09 September 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries as I won`t be too far away <_<

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello Phill
Is it possible to pick up were we left off as my PC now has a clean bill of health (malware removed) and I have learned a few lessons too? :) Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Welcome back haloburn :thumbsup:

I am pleased that you have now been given the all clear of malware by Essexboy

Before we proceed can you please advise as to how the computer is functioning at present, better, worse or indeed the same as it was previously.

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi It's definitely a marked improvement :) it has however slowed a little since i added Windows Live Messenger :blush: which comes on at startup...yet i can't find it on the startup list :confused: it still freezes a tiny bit and has slow windows ( y' know when just the border of the window appears, I'm sure there must be a more concise way of putting it!)
But to conclude it's definitely a big improvement :woot:
Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi there haloburn

We still need to see the bottom part of the Autoruns and start up list please, can you also re-run PCPitstop and provide us with an updated URL.

Dustend

Dustend

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Interesting topic. :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

it has however slowed a little since i added Windows Live Messenger

:blush:

which comes on at startup...yet i can't find it on the startup list

:confused:

If you only wish to prevent Messenger from starting at boot up, see below.

> http://www.s2solutions.co.uk/?p=207

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hi there haloburn

We still need to see the bottom part of the Autoruns and start up list please, can you also re-run PCPitstop and provide us with an updated URL.

Ok will do Phill, sorry not replied sooner, been very hectic here :surrender:
I will add here as soon as done... watch this space ;) Thank you
here is the rest of Autoruns ( it's an awful lot!!) :unsure:
I can't upload anymore of it on this post ...not allowed shall i add a new post Phill?? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• part 2.JPG
  • part 3.JPG
  • part 4.JPG
  • part 5.JPG

Edited by haloburn, 19 September 2012 - 03:33 PM.

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

it has however slowed a little since i added Windows Live Messenger

:blush:

which comes on at startup...yet i can't find it on the startup list

:confused:

If you only wish to prevent Messenger from starting at boot up, see below.

> http://www.s2solutions.co.uk/?p=207

I have now done this ...many thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I would like you to run pcpitstop again, but not from your the program on your computer.

Hermes how.

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDriveIn the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration again and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
[quote name='iammykyl' timestamp='1348110770' post='2207611']

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDriveIn the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Hi Iammykyl
I tried the above link but it did not work, so I went back through the posts and found the one Phill2power had given which was slightly different and worked only problem is once i try to run it i get the below message
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• pitstop error.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
To fix the IE security problem, try this
From Tools menu choose Internet Options, a dialog will appear.
Navigate to the Advanced tab, and under Security
uncheck: Check for publisher's certificare revocation and Check for server certificate revocation*

You may also receive another warning in the notification Bar, "internet explorer has blocked ActiveX control download", when you try to download the ActiveX control.
Right click in the Bar and choose, Allow.

Edited by iammykyl, 22 September 2012 - 05:31 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi haloburn.

Just contacting to see how things are going.

haloburn

haloburn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Sorry for delay, life just pretty full on at the mo, but please find info below
here are the results you asked for
My link
Thank you :)

Edited by haloburn, 25 September 2012 - 06:14 AM.