Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Explain to me why I'm slowing down

• Please log in to reply

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, I uninstalled about 8% of my programs. Things I no longer use, apps I didn't even know I had on my machine, etc. On to do the autoruns.

Thanks Iamykyll

Advertisements

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Iammykyl, the autoruns link you gave me above is broken. Is there another location to give me the necessary information?

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Try this one, latest ver.

> http://www.filehippo...nload_autoruns/

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here is the autoruns information.

Attached Files

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the Autoruns, will check.

When you removed programs, did you use Revo uninstaller?
When you selected a program to uninstall, which option did you use?

Did you remove McAfee?

Edited by iammykyl, 14 September 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I used Revo uninstaller. and used the advanced option. McAfee is still in place. Do I use Revo to uninstall that too?

Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I only use the Moderate settings. In advanced mode, there is the chance of a Reg key being altered that is shared with another program. so that's why there is a warning to look at the key.

McAfee is still in place. Do I use Revo to uninstall that too?

It is a real resource hog. If it is a paid version, you may feel removing it is wasteful of money.

Please review Macboatmaster's Post #8 then decide if you wish to uninstall.

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Having a computer work satisfactorily is more important to me than the $80 I paid for McAfee, besides I have 2 other computers in my household that can still use it (so far anyway :) ). I uninstalled McAfee as per the link instructions that MacboatMaster gave me. activated Windows Firewall and installed MSE. So will "monitor" the machine for a couple of days and see if it made any diff.

I have maybe made a false assumption that you guys can set me straight on. I bought this current computer with a relatively high end processor (i7) at the time of purchase. Maxed out the RAM. I assumed that if I couldn't overtax the CPU and had lots of RAM that these slow down issued wouldn't happen.
For instance right now I am running the MSE initial full scan and my little desktop widget tells me my CPU usage is at 8 - 10% and RAM at 27%. I have seldom seen my CPU ever this high, it usually purrs along at 4% and RAm at about 19, yet the machine still slows down what is wrong with my thinking? (That's what my wife always says by the way "Whats wrong with your thinking? :P )

Thanks to your genius super geeks who advise all of us users on the fine points of your craft.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well its far too early to say yet.
Lets see how we go
That first scan with MSE will take sometime
You have NOT set full scan have you - as quick scan is all that is needed

Other scans will be a lot quicker, providing you do not use CCleaner which deletes the MSE ,logs and fools it inot thinking that it has never scanned or indeed ever been updated.

The only other thing I would say is that for the average home user there is never a need to purchase an anti-virus
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

One of those with MBAM the free Malwarebytes as an addtional scan is all that is needed

together of course with the normal precautions and maintenance routines.

Possibly depending on the choice of the AV - a free spyware.adware scanner

HOWEVER ONLY EVER one running in real time.

and just as a matter of interest - which desktop widget - not that the use is high in any manner.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Noted, removed McAfee.

. I have seldom seen my CPU ever this high, it usually purrs along at 4% and RAm at about 19

Quite normal, all depends on how intense the work is, reallly heavy video editing can use 100% CPU and all the RAM, say 32GB then us the Page file on the HDD..

Is Covenant Eyes Monitoring an essential on the computer?.Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Edited by iammykyl, 18 September 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi again guys:

Macboat, the widget is the built in one that Windows 7 has. I don't even know where to find it anymore but I put it in place in set up. So it is Win 7 native.

Iamykyl, re the Covenant Eyes. I have wondered about this but would prefer to leave it on. We could remove for testing if we want.

The PC Pitstop results:

http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

Thanks again guys.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please open Task Manager > Processes. Go to the last item in CPU column(System Idle Processes) and watch it for a few minutes while the computer is idling. It should be above 95% most of the time or drop only slightly below that, returning quickly to higher values. If it is lower then said value for more then 1-2 seconds at a time, look at the other processes and note which of them is using CPU resources.

Another thing: type MSCONFIG in the search line. Click Selective Startup and then Startup in the drop-down menu. disable every item which is not essential, confirm and reboot. If the speed increase to what it used to be, start enabling the items one at a time to find, by elimination, which one slows your computer.

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Skeptic. Here's the scoop in that: I opened it and looked, System idle was at 87% when I looked for the other 13 it was all in explorer.exe at 13%. I shut down explorer by ending process and of course lost all desktop icons, start button and the works. Did a restart and when it came up system idle was at 99-97 and didn't vary from that as long as it stayed idle.

thanks for your input

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. HOW IS IT NOW compared with when you had McAfee -even if it is still obviously not right.

2. go windows button
type msconfig in search
right click and run as admin
click the boot tab
click advanced
processors and ram
anything checked please
PLS do not change anything
IF anything is checked post details before proceeding to 3.
exit out of there.

2. On the last from my colleague you misread part of it he did not mean to stop the process from there especially explorer.
However no damage done it recovered.

3. Do this please
which is effectively the same as my colleague suggests in the start tab
http://support.micro.../929135#method1

clean boot - read CAREFULLY pls.

When clean booting, check before browsing that MSE is still running

HOW is that please.

Smudgeboss

Smudgeboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I cannot say, Macboat, that the removal of McAfee made any changes, but without any actual data it "feels" faster since I removed iobit. There are still times when I click on something and I get the circle of time for a few seconds before what I asked for happens.

2) Number of processors is checked, and under that, greyed out is debug port and Baud rate which are both checked.