Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I was told my pc is only 73% :( PC's only 1yr old

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
TY once again. After getting through the sluggish internet connection, & finally getting a device to amp up my internet connection here at the complex where I live, tech told me my pc is only 73%

TRUE, since all the security warning certificate stuff, I have done a about 4-5 system restores, and I did come to geeks to establish a good restore point, but I would like to have a REAL PRO tell me what they think of my system.

In addition: I tried application process, internet speed was ok for this company, then when I got to pc test, they told me I need to have IE7, I think I do, tried getting IE9, and had to restore system things went south. The company is: Convergy. The most common causes for reaching this screen are listed below:

Insufficient user privileges on your PC: Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 require a user to have Administrator privileges in order to install software, including ActiveX controls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Internet Explorer security settings: Your browser security settings may be set to deny ActiveX controls. Restoring your security settings to the default settings will request confirmation prior to installing ActiveX controls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attempting to test your PC before allowing the ActiveX control to install: Prior to attempting the PC test, ensure that you have allowed the ActiveX control and installed the Convergys PC Test Tool before continuing with the application process. For additional questions on this process, please contact us. Closing this window will return you to the Apply Now page. http://careers.conve...AHApplyNow.aspx

TY

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
73% of what?

what "tech"?

"tried getting IE9, and had to restore system things went south." what do you mean "went south"?

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I attempted to upgrade to IE8 & IE9, kept getting told my system wasn't compatible.

"Went south" meant NOT GOOD. Laptop wouldn't except it, or then started giving me some crazy issues, at one point had to just do a "System restore."

Tech from "NetGear," said that my system scanned out to only be performing at a 73% rate, suggested I proceed to "Geeks Squad" and pay either $59, $99, or $189 for service, according to his scan, I had multiple "Error's" that ONLY Geeks Squad would be able to fix.

I finally made him understand, "I HAVE NO $."

TY

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well let's start with the claims of the "tech fron NetGear"

first, 73% means nothing if you don't know what the scale is.

second, there is NO "error" that ONLY geek squad could fix (unless that error was that you have too much money in your bank account)

what "scans" did the netgear tech have you run? do you have links for those? NetGear is a router manufacturer, that they would have an opinion on the proper functionality of a computer system is a little odd.

as to your I.E. issues:

first, what version of internet explorer is actually installed? open up internet explorer, click on help on the menu bar, then about internet explorer, that should tell you the version.

second, the website you linked to says that it only requires I.E. 6 or higher, since your computer is only a year old, there is no way it's got I.E. 6 or lower on it. my guess is that you have at least I.E. 7

also, what version of windows are you using?

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Netgear tech has you allow iYogi download, then they remotely take over the your pc, then they run a diagnostics, and after you have your NetGear item up & going, I thought they were just doing a courtesy service, not to say I didn't start getting leary.

The Iyogi tech did make me parinoid, but I DON'T have more $'s then sence.

YES, you are right, & my past post prove strongly that trying to convince me that "GEEK SQUAD" is the ONLY one's that could fix my pc is BOLOGNA. GEEKS TO GO has been my ROCK!!! & YES you are right, my laptop has IE7, I can't figure out why I'm having issues with my pc, but maybe it's not.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
My arch nemesis is back: " There is a problem with this website's security certificate." The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority... etc...

Started seeing this tonight on facebook :( Since I purchased the Netgear Extender all except for a real rare time or two the last 4-5 days had been gone. Tonight/morning, while baking cookies (Real ones :D) was going to play games, when I couldn't https, then it's not happening.

If I was going to make a call, I knew motel/apt. maintenance would be into look @ my pc setup again (Looking for water leak :D). When I learned HOW an Extender works. Even the former owner that does their pc set was at the office as I suspected would happen, since their router is now e.g.: router_ext I'm sure they have had to notice that extra connection within their connection box in the office.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Netgear tech has you allow iYogi download, then they remotely take over the your pc, then they run a diagnostics, and after you have your NetGear item up & going, I thought they were just doing a courtesy service, not to say I didn't start getting leary.

The Iyogi tech did make me parinoid, but I DON'T have more $'s then sence.

YES, you are right, & my past post prove strongly that trying to convince me that "GEEK SQUAD" is the ONLY one's that could fix my pc is BOLOGNA. GEEKS TO GO has been my ROCK!!! & YES you are right, my laptop has IE7, I can't figure out why I'm having issues with my pc, but maybe it's not.

so, when you go to the Convergys website, and try to run the scan, does internet explorer tell you that it is trying to run an active X control and ask you to let it install it?

My arch nemesis is back: " There is a problem with this website's security certificate." The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority... etc...

Started seeing this tonight on facebook Since I purchased the Netgear Extender all except for a real rare time or two the last 4-5 days had been gone. Tonight/morning, while baking cookies (Real ones ) was going to play games, when I couldn't https, then it's not happening.

If I was going to make a call, I knew motel/apt. maintenance would be into look @ my pc setup again (Looking for water leak ). When I learned HOW an Extender works. Even the former owner that does their pc set was at the office as I suspected would happen, since their router is now e.g.: router_ext I'm sure they have had to notice that extra connection within their connection box in the office.

what URLs are giving you the certificate errors? do you have your facebook set to use the secure connection? when you just go to https://www.facebook.com i'm assuming you don't get the certificate error, so, at what point DO you get the error on facebook? it's more than likely a specific app/game that's presented ON facebook.

please explain, in detail, your last paragraph quoted above.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I think I'll just admit defeat in re: to Convergy. I just keep getting the lil 2"x4" box that states I need 6.0 or newer, since I can't get past that, poo with them.

I do use HTTPS ONLY with facebook, last night about 2am central, the above was FULL pg. on both IE7 & Chrome. Problem lasted on a couple of sites that I needed to login to, so I cleaned history, ran malawarebytes, nothing came up, went back, still persisted. Watched some tv, went back to it, about an hour later, and seemed good. I just opened fb on chrome, and have checked my email, and all is good.

Prior to the NetGear extender, it was almost 85% of the time over the last 6weeks that "Certificate page verifications" were coming up, then I figured after HOURS of watching buffering, googling, etc... I thought since I couldn't soder copper (Make a Cantenna), I'd try the Extender thing. I'd seen on the net that some living in big houses had had good luck with them. The only downfall is that I don't have control of the router & modem, other than I see the lower strength connections in the box. I do hate that from what I know, a neighbor could have a stronger strength as a result of my sweat,but I GET the strongest, so that works :D

Thank you for your patience with me.

Edited by penelopepony, 06 September 2012 - 04:25 PM.

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
While using my Extender, I was in the middle of playing a fb game (11:30pm), and this popped up, I "X'd" out,

[attachment=60325:verification question.PNG]

I attempted to return, out of curiosity, got the full blown [attachment=60326:security question2.PNG]

Edited by penelopepony, 06 September 2012 - 10:46 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you show the details, and certification path tabs of that error?