Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless, Cannot Delete User Account, no CPU?

• Please log in to reply

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

First of all, thank you for your volunteer hours spent to help fix computer problems. Going to a local computer store and spending hundreds of dollars is not really in my budget.

I have been having a few problems with this computer, I don't know if they are related, but I will not be a hypochondriac with my computer or try any self-diagnosis (it's usually annoying for a doctor, I'd imagine it's the same for you).

1) When I open up "Network and Sharing Center", I see the attached photo "network" (it says "Unknown" at the top of the screen and "access is denied" directly underneath). When I try to click "Connect to a Network", nothing happens AT ALL. I mean nothing, no cursor change into the hourglass, not even a blink of the screen. I am thus unable to connect to my wireless network. However, when I attach a cable directly to the computer, I then have internet (I am currently using the computer). When I try to set-up a network, the only option it gives me is to use dial-up (no DSL option or anything like that).

2)There is a second account titled "guest" (it is not a guest account, just named so) that when I try to delete, nothing happens. I mean, I go to "Add or Remove Accounts", click on the account, and then click on the option to the left that says, "Delete the Account". I am then asked if I want to keep files, and then asked to confirm my decision. When I click, "Delete Account", nothing happens. No blinks of the cursor, or anything like that. A restart will not delete the account either. I have no use for it and I don't know how it got there. It is a standard account (not an administrator account).

3)When I use the cmd command "dxdiag" to determine the processor (this is not really an issue that needs fixing, but may be part of the problem and probably should not exist), the spots of System Manufacturer, System Model, and BIOS all say n/a and the Processor spot says n/a (2 CPUs). In the display tab, the Manufacturer, Chip Type, and DAC Type are also n/a.

Those two issues are bothering me a great deal. I just recently installed Windows 7 on this computer, it was previously Vista. I just found the power supply for it and have now been able to run this laptop again, but I want to use the wireless internet. I am unsure if this is mal-ware or what the problem is.

I was able to run part of OTL, but in the middle of the scan it came up with an error message saying "Win32 Error. Code: 5. Access is denied." OTL then just froze while scanning the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Uninstall List". I also ran a HJT scan and it noted right off the bat that access is denied to the Hosts file. I am including the results of that scan.

Please help!

Attached Thumbnails

• network.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Additionally, in attempting to run Windows Update it tells me that the service is not running and that I may need to restart.

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Hi iceman_bob and welcome at Geeks to Go!

You've posted this topic in the Malware Removal Forum. Do you think malware is the cause of your problems? And if so, why do you think that?

Secondly, since when can't you use the wireless internet? Since you installed Windows 7?

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To be honest, I am not certain what the cause of the problem may be. Only because I am unable to delete the guest account and also apparently have no access to the hosts files, I am assuming some type of malware is restricting my access to those.

When Windows 7 was installed, I was able to configure the wireless connection for only one wireless router and somewhere between then and now it changed to how it appears now.

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, in doing some troubleshooting I think I have solved the issue. The account I was using didn't appear to be a guest account, but it turns out that it was. I went into the other user account on the laptop, turned on the administrator option, and everything worked. Wireless, Windows Update, dxdiag, it all works. Thanks! Now I just have to turn off the guest account...
Cheers

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
...it seems I'm unable to change the account type of either account, should I post in a different forum?

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts

should I post in a different forum?

Yes please. Your problems aren't malware related. This should be the right forum: http://www.geekstogo...-and-windows-7/