Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled XP, can't access home wifi but can get online everywhe

• Please log in to reply

EmilyAnn

EmilyAnn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

This seems to be a recurring theme, but I just reinstalled XP on my Toshiba Terca. I've done this several times before with no problem getting online. I can access wifi at coffee shops, on campus, etc. but not on my home network, CenturyLink (Quest). Since we use an Apple airport, Quest refused to help me.

I have all my drivers, and I can see the wifi and enter the password, but when I try to connect it just thinks and thinks and thinks ...

My roommate and other people in the house can get on the network, so I know it's a problem with my Toshiba. Can I fix this without having to reconfigure the router? I have a feeling my housemates might not like this, as I don't know what I'm doing and would hate to kill our wireless =/. Any help is greatly appreciated!

~Emily

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

My suggestion is to make sure you have the most updated driver for your Wireless Network Card. Using a outdated driver can work just fine connecting to networks without security but will fail if the wireless network is using encryption to secure the communication.

If you need help to locate the most recent driver please post the laptop model, normally is written on the back.

EmilyAnn

EmilyAnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah, good idea. I ran UpdateMyDrivers and found 31 outdated drivers -- which is to be expected, I suppose since my computer is 4 years old. I assume these are drivers I should update?

* Intel® 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (update to version 9.13.41.0)
* Intel ® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (update to version 13.4.0.139)
* Toshiba Software Modem (update to version 2.2.97)

Any of the Chipset Family, Fingerprint Coprocessor, PCI to USB, SATA AHCI, Family PCI, Interface, PCI Bridge, Platform Module, Interface Controller, Platform Module or PCI Express Root drivers make a difference to wifi connection?

Thanks for your help!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Emily,

I don't recommend the use of any program to download drivers to your computer, most of them will ask you money to do the job and also install other programs or do changes to the computer you really don't need.

The drivers should be downloaded from the Computer Brand support page or directly from the device manufacture.

In your case it seems you have a Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN the driver can be downloaded directly from Intel on this page download Wireless_15.2.0_Dx32.exe