Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Svchost.exe error [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

KTOde

KTOde

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi - I am getting the following error and my computer will not boot up fully:

Svchost.exe The instruction at "oxffbadd11" referenced memory at "oxffbadd11". The memory could not e "written". Click on ok to terminate te program.

It looks like there are other topics on here adressing this but I can't see the details. Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are you able to get into safe mode ?

What is the operating system xp, vista, 7.. 32 or 64 bit

KTOde

KTOde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, no - safe mode won't load fully either. The computer is on XP I believe. I made and ran the AVG Rescue CD last night but now it seems to be even worse. Before it would get to the log in screen, allow me to login, and then would get to the background screen and stop there, not loading the task bar or any icons.

Now it gets to the Windows config/load page, flashes some error screen for a split second, and reboots. It never gets past that point now and does the same thing for safe mode, last known configuration.....etc.

Thanks for any advice!! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets have a look see then, with this programme you may be able to access the internet from the infected system

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the flash drive with FRST on it
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.
    Posted Image
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

KTOde

KTOde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, thanks! My work computer will not allow me to run OTLPENet.exe - if I save it and burn it to a disc will that be sufficient? I set my computer to boot from the disc first last night.

Thanks so much!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You will need to run the programme and burn the disc on another computer as the programme needs to be run to make the CD bootable

KTOde

KTOde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I was afraid of that! I'll see what I can do over the weekend. Thanks again!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK .. Prior to this happening what were you doing ? Did you have an infection ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.