Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card recommendation

• Please log in to reply

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes, the xfx card is 7.8"(L) x 4.4"(H) x 1.5" (W). I measured it before I sent the last message. It will be tight with the wireless adapter. If the wireless adapter needs to be replaced I'll just order a PCI wireless card. I have an old USB wireless adapter I could use until then or I could just not install the new GFX card until the adapter arrives.

BTW what is a PCI Express x1 minicard socket and what kind of stuff can one plug in to it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
An example of what can be used with a PCI-E X1 slot http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704133

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Phillpower2,
Thanks. I will be ordering my card this Tuesday (payday). I'll leave another message if I run into any problems or have additional questions.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Thanks for the update pabadger :thumbsup:

Let us know when you are up and running or indeed if you have any questions.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi PhillPower2 and Macboatmaster,
An update.

I ordered the XFX HD685A ZCFC and the Corsair CX600 as well as an anti-static wrist strap. I got the 600w PSU because it was only $10 more.Long story short, the first card I got was DOA and I had to RMA it. While reinstalling my old GT430 I changed the resolution of Windows 7 to something my monitor does not support. So I took it to my local computer store and they fixed it up for me. About 10 days or so later the new card came, I was able to install it myself, and it works perfectly. A major improvement. I now get 1.5-2 times the fps playing World of Tanks on the next higher setting. Thank you so much for all your help.

One final question:
My current idle temp for the HD6850 is right around 50C is that OK? What temperature ranges are normal?

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Thanks for the update pabadger :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that you are happy with the upgrades, below are the kind of temps you should be getting;

Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB idle = 36°C under load such as gaming = 80°C and ambient = 20°C

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Should I do anything about the idle temp of 50C? I could get a PCI wireless adapter. That would give the card a little more room to ventilate.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

To help with controlling the GPU fan speed and temps use MSI afterburner http://downloads.gur...nload-2392.html

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

I have attached the screenshot you requested. I tried downloading MSI Afterburner from the link you gave but it did not work. I think I got the latest version from here.

Attached Thumbnails

• GPUtemp.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
So we have a comparison can you download and run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

I tried downloading MSI Afterburner from the link you gave but it did not work.

What did not work please.

Advertisements

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The link you left for MSI afterburner was broken. I downloaded but have not yet installed MSI Afterburner 2.2.5.

Here is the screenshot from CPUID. For some reason the tems are about 10C lower than last night. The house has been cooler today but not 10C cooler.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID103112.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
No GPU temp for comparison :( was the temperature of that also lower.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Oops, sorry. I will take another screenshot if you want, but yes, it was also lower.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
No worries, if you have not already installed afterburner try increasing your GPU fan speed to 40% using Speedfan, see if the temps drop and then gradually decrease the fan speed in increments of 1-2% until you get stable temps and less GPU fan noise, a guide to using Speedfan if you need it @ http://www.silentpcreview.com/SpeedFan please disregard any other product or service that may be offered at the link.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Phillpower2
Sorry for the length before reply. I have kind of settled at running the fan at 50%. The temp never gets much above 70C, runs at between 40 and 55 depending on load, and cools down to 35 or lower. I know the last bit is a little high, but It really didn't help much to put the fan higher, even at 70 or 80%. I may get a PCI wireless card to improve circulation. Thanks for all your help.