Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nv4_disp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

• Please log in to reply

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have problem with the graphics card driver i think ..when i watch on youtube and i go in another tab in a few min. my screen freezes and reboot got the blue screen and then its the same thing also in games after 5-15min i got the same problem..i did try with other drivers and its the same.... i did install new winxp sp3 and i have the same problem.

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: STEFAN-KIKO
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz Intel586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 3219562496 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2044510208

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 9/9/2012 6:16:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090912-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x240EA6)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8490925, 0xFFFFFFFFB36572E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys .
Google query: nv4_disp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 9/9/2012 5:38:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090912-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x240E8E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8450925, 0xFFFFFFFFB50642E4, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.sys .

On Sun 9/9/2012 4:56:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090912-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0xD0B4B)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF89DF44A8, 0xFFFFFFFF89C897F8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A3577D0, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
Google query: nv4_disp.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Sat 9/8/2012 6:48:53 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090812-05.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x25581E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8428925, 0xFFFFFFFFB30892E4, 0x0)

On Sat 9/8/2012 5:57:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090812-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x1175DE)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF8A2CE710, 0xFFFFFFFF8A18DE90, 0xFFFFFFFF8A0FDD80, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
Google query: nv4_disp.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Sat 9/8/2012 12:12:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090812-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.sys (nv4_disp+0x25581E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8420925, 0xFFFFFFFFB3F9C6E0, 0x0)

On Fri 9/7/2012 11:10:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090812-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8420925, 0xFFFFFFFFB32092E4, 0x0)

On Fri 9/7/2012 10:41:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090812-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8418925, 0xFFFFFFFFB3A8D2C0, 0x0)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer?
If not on-board, what is the model number of your Nvidia graphics card?
What driver version are you using?
Have you tried other Nvidia driver versions, newer and older?

Since this seems to happen after using the computer for awhile it's may be a heat problem (GPU over heating). Make sure all the dust is cleaned out, all fans are turning. Consider removing the heat sink from the graphics card, cleaning off the thermal paste and applying a new, thin layer.

Use Speedfan to check heat levels and rotation speeds. I use a program called RivaTuner to run my GPU fan faster then it normally runs, which reduced the heat by 5 degrees.

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
NVIDEA GeForce 8400 GS
301.42-desktop-winxp-32-international-whql

My graphic card driver was fine before the install of my new winXP i did try with other winXP cd and its the same.
i installed 301.42 driver few times and with anti virus off, i did try with older ver.of driver and i still get this problem i start the youtube music video switch tabs and screen freezes and pc reboot.

Speed Fan
GPU: 60C
Temp1: 29C
Temp2: 35C
Temp3: 23C
Temp: 60C
HD0: 40C
Temp1: 29C
Core: 60C
Ambient:0C

dust is cleaned from the fans

Edited by Zlatkop, 10 September 2012 - 03:05 AM.

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I downloaded this driver 301.42-desktop-winxp-32-international-whql few times no errors with the installation and in device manager its all fine :(
I got the screen freeze and pc reboot only with youtube videos and games.

Edited by Zlatkop, 10 September 2012 - 02:45 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try a few of the older drivers, see if that helps: Older Nvidia drivers

Nvidia Older Drivers.jpg

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i will try

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i install 296.10 it was same problem now i have 295.73-desktop-winxp-32bit- playin battlefield2 seems to be ok but ill need to test for some time ...speed fan is on and i did notice
Speed Fan
GPU: 70C
Temp1: 49C
Temp2: 39C
Temp3: 23C
Temp: 70C
HD0: 41C
Temp1: 49C
Core: 70C
Ambient:0C

is this bad? its with bf2 on and i think it goes +3,4C

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
65C to 75C sees to be normal for your video card from what I can find. Shouldn't be a problem.

As I mentioned before, consider removing the heat sink from the graphics card, cleaning off the thermal paste and applying a new, thin layer.

Hold off and see if the older driver resolves the problem though as all the crash dump reports you posted indicated it was a driver problem and not likely to be caused by hardware.

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yea ill hold on for now i did check early today the gc cooler its clean but i think something is wrong with him ill get new one maybe it will be better...anyway ty for your help mate ill post if there is any change bad or good since few days ago i didnt had problems when i installed some older driver then next day i had so i will see what will be.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If nothing works, try disabling the Hardware Acceleration in the Flash Player.

Open a youtube video, right click on it, choose properties, and unclick hardware acceleration.

Hope that helps

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok 2 days fine now its back :(

On Wed 9/12/2012 3:29:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091212-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24DC9E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8498925, 0xFFFFFFFFB2DC12E4, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 295.73
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 295.73
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 295.73 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

gone try the other 3 older drivers and ...btw its not only on youtube the problem is in games to.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Leave SpeedFan running and check it often. See if it gets a lot hotter while gaming.

Let's step back for a minute. You said it was fine until you installed a new WinXP. Do you mean you reinstalled XP? If so, did you format the hard drive during the install (did a Clean Install)?

Is this a retail computer or one you built or had built? If retail, make and manufacturer please. If it's a Dell, provide the Service Tag too.

Zlatkop

Zlatkop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did a full format C&D then i install a fresh wxpsp3 ...i use that winxp on my other pc no problems there.Its an older pc i build that one...like i sad i didnt had this problem before and i dont have the original cd with drivers.SpeedFan was working when i was playing games for few days i was watching the temp and its all fine,i also test the hdd for bad sectors 0 found .

Edited by Zlatkop, 13 September 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you installed the Chipset driver? Other than that, all I can think of to try then is replace the video card.

Wouldn't hurt to test the memory. Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.