Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my processor and adding a graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i can play command and conquer generals on my current pc:
AMD 1600+XP, 512MB 133Mhz,FX5200 128MB,80GB diamond max 9ide.
It doesnt play bad at all on this unless i play with several hard a.i.s so if thats all you play it wont be a problem its if you want to play newer fps games you get bother.

I personally would wait a while, thats what im doing, cashing in on my 18th birthday my base unit is costin £500ish at the monent but it changes. these are the specs to illustrate what you can get for not all thamuch more.

AMD 64 3200 venice, 1Gb PC3200, 160Gb sata diamondmax 10, MSI nforce 4 PCI-E mobo, new case with 400W PSU, lite-on cd-rw drive, and probably an X800 GFX card at the moment but i could spend for ever lookin for a gfx card and not pick one.

And that is more expensive than my original layout i had planned which only came in at just over 400 as you see you can get a new pc for not that much money if you shop around: try overclockers.co.uk to find the best parts as they only sell the best usually and they will sometimes be the cheapest but microdirect is a little cheaper but a poorer selection of components.

I looked at upgrading my pc and it worked out more expensive in the long run so i decided to wait a while and got a new pc that is not just better as a whole but was more "futureproof" and easier to upgrade in the future.

Thats my opinion you may be really wanting just a better pc to potter about with and play the odd game so the full new pc might not be for you but if you build a new one it means you get a new cheapy monitor and you have a second old pc for browsing the internet and word processinf and the like.

Advertisements

ELYSIUM

ELYSIUM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Whatever you get definately buy a Maxtor 16Mb SABRE Drive !! the performance beats any other drive other than the WD 10K drives which are expensive for the drive size.

The host bus specification is not what it seems especially for a single drive solution, in the fact ATA100/ATA133/SATA 150Mb/s tranfer "UP TO" a maximum of the 100 - 150Mbps a typical 8Mb cache 7200rpm drive would not exceed 27-30Mbps. For multiple drive solutions this may be a factor

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks very much for your help people. I have decided to wait a while and get a good new pc. Through this discussion and all the research i have undertaken for upgrading my current pc i have learned all about the architecure of computers. I know what I require from my next pc now and this has proved to be most useful. ;) Again thankyou very much ;) . I'll let you guys know when i eventually get my new pc what the specs are. :tazz:

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
There is always the wait a little while option. It all depends on your needs. Personally, I would upgrade because the extra longevity that Pc gives you(will give you 1-2 years if you don't plan on playing the most graphic intensive games on the highest settings) will be worth the money.

A few questions. Do you already have Ram installed on your computer? If so, what is the speed of that Ram? How much of it do you have? How much hard drive space do you have on your computer? Is it low enough to warrent an upgrade in hard drive capacity?

If you just want to improve your processor/ram/graphics card, then an upgrade will defenetly be beneficial. Assuming that you already have 512 mb of pc333 ram, you can upgrade your computer for less than 300 dollars US. Even if you don't have 512 mb of pc333 ram, you can still upgrade your comp for less than 300 dollars.

Buying a decent computer will cost you 1000 dollars(monitor,os,mouse,keyboard included). Take that into mind.

Also, to answer your questions posted, yes cc generals will run w/o a hitch with your video card. Also, your computer should be able to handle multiple applications, though only the new expensive dual cores will handle multitasking optimally. Gaming depends mostly on video cards, so if you plan on playing more intensive games in the future, get a better video card. The 6600GT is moderetly priced, won't break your bank, and can play doom III on medium settings pretty well.

Edited by hacp, 08 June 2005 - 06:39 PM.