Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

notebook advice needed

• Please log in to reply

falcongal

falcongal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. I could really use some advice and tried asking on another board with no luck. :tazz: My knowledge of computers is pretty limited, and yesterday at a yard sale I bought a Compaq Presario 1240 notebook (I think it's a notebook and not a laptop--how do you tell the difference?) to use to surf the internet. It has a box (battery?) in the plug-in cable and a plug to use it from the cigarette lighter of a car. It also came with a "QuikRestore" disk and a QuikRestore backup disk.
It has Windows 98 on it. The man who sold it to me said he'd tried putting Windows ME and Windows 2000 on it and it didn't work right, so he re-installed Windows 98. When I boot up it says Windows 98, but some of the programs in it say Windows 95.
My desktop computer has Windows XP. Can I install that using the disks? Would it work? Does the notebook have enough room? All I really want to do with it is surf the net and check e-mail, so I don't think I really need the latest version of Windows.
My desktop uses McAfee and I have Spybot and AdAware on it. Can I connect it to the McAfee somehow, or would I need to get an antivirus setup for this one too? Would it have enough room for the McAfeeSpybot, and AdAware?
He said that I can do things on it and transfer it to my desktop computer. I wouldn't even know how to begin doing this.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

falcongal

falcongal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Another question--I'm on dial-up. Do I need to call my ISP and get them to change things on their end, or can I just dial up using the same phone number? I only have one phone line into the house and can't use both computers at once. Thanks.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
notebook and laptop are synomimous. they mean the same thing.

one os liscense per computer. you would need to get a new version of xp. from what I seen most people that are selling that model laptop are doing so with windows xp installed.

you should be able to install your mcafee on your laptop if you have the cd.

to get systems specs you can use belarc advisor
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

falcongal

falcongal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, Starjax. I don't have the McAfee disk. I downloaded the antivirus software from their web site and it automatically updates when I connect to the internet.

Hopefully they'll let me download it from the site without paying again, but that's doubtful because if they allowed that one subscriber could allow a lot of people to download to their computers as freebies.