Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this possible?

• Please log in to reply

rodeoflower

rodeoflower

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop that had something in the monitor connection go wrong so now it is extremely dim. I can see it running, see icos or the mouse but it is too dim to utilize what I can see. I tried brightening and all that. It's the second time it happened so I just bought a new Dell Inspirion 17R. What I want to know is there a way to connect my two laptops so I can see what is occuring on the Sony through the dell screen? OR can I disconnect my desktop monitor and use it for that purpose? What do I need to purchase for cables to do it? Is it sort of a plug and play or do I need to do something to make it come together. I'm just wanting to save my files off the one before I take it to Best buy for repair...

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There should be a video out on the back of the laptop, which you can use with your desktop monitor. There is typically a control sequence to switch the video:

For an example, please see:

http://www.ehow.com/...aio-laptop.html

The video cable with the monitor should be all you need. Connecting the monitor would allow you to see what the computer is doing, but you would need a network connection to transfer the data or be able to write the data to a DVD or CD.

There are also ways of seeing/sharing the screen between two machines, but that tends to be more complicated and perhaps others can tell you how, should you want to go in that direction.

You can also remove the disk and install it in an external case or test cable, both of which you would need to buy and would be based on the disk drive. This would allow you to copy everything on the disk.

You could also connect the two machine by way of your home network (assuming you have one) and transfer the data.

You should be able to remove the disk and then take the computer in for repair since it is really not needed for the repair. If they really require a disk, you could buy a cheap replacement. Personally, I think it is better to not turn over a computer with any of your data on it.

rodeoflower

rodeoflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you that is quite helpful!