Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook - Hotmail - Pop - Mark as Read

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi
I imagine there is some little word in hotmail's settings that I am missing, and it's really obvious and somehow it just does not show up in front of my eyes no matter what I click :ph34r:

I am trying to mark email as read in hotmail, and other devices when I read it (online, on my phone, and outlook.)

My work email is gmail, and my personal is hotmail. Gmail does this, I mark a message as read, it's read everywhere. Hotmail does not.

Any advice?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry you have waited for a reply.
ccasionally a topic does get overlooked simply becuase of the vast number of posts

Opening a Hotmail message will automatically mark it as Read: to mark it as Unread, click on the "Mark as" menu (middle top) and select "Unread".x Another way is to right-click on any email in the listing, and chose "Mark as Read / Unread" (menu automatically updates based on which message is selected). Posted Image

To mark multiple messages as Read or Unread, select them using their checkbox; then, right-click on any of them, and choose the appropriate option from the context menu; if your selection contains a mix of reads and unreads, you will see both options appear.
To mark an entire email folder as Read, right-click on it and choose "Mark all as read". Posted Image
Tip: from inside a folder, click on the "Sweep" menu and select "Mark this folder as read".

Clicking on the checkbox next to "All" (top of email listing) only selects visible messages: marking these as Read / Unread will leave untouched other emails in that folder

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2012 - 07:39 AM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately my question may not have been clear.
I am marking messages read (as you say automatically when read...) but on my other devices they do not appear as read.
When you have 50 unread emails on your iphone... that are actually read already (and marked thus in hotmail) it is a lot of extra time spent going through and marking them all read.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I regret to say I do not know the answer
I have never used it linked to a phone

Does this help
http://answers.micro...0d-33dc7f0267bd

it came from here
http://answers.micro...gquestion=false

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 September 2012 - 11:09 AM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Thanks for that.
No, it does not 'share' the messages' read status.
Perhaps this is just a gmail option.
Thanks for the perspective!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry I cannot help further
Possibly someone who knows about the exact question of deleting from one or the other is delete or mark as read etc on both may come in.

Good luck with it.