Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card noise and random shut down's.

• Please log in to reply

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm not sure I even have most of the original packaging any more, I don't have enough room in my house to store all the component boxes which I would have probably not needed ever again, do you think this will be a problem?

Also in answer to Phil, this was 2 hours of gaming with the case fans sets to medium and since two days ago I haven't had any random shut-downs.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If you cannot return the card and the fan is no longer making any noise you could try slightly increasing your fan speeds to see if you can get the gaming temps down further, use the CCC or afterburner for monitoring and controlling the cards temps http://event.msi.com...er/download.htm

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If the teimps are still not good, an option would be to replace the TIM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm just in contact with the suppliers now, fingers crossed!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I'm just in contact with the suppliers now, fingers crossed!

How did you get on please.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
They said as long as the packaging is adequate then they will accept the return. Result!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That is great news. Posted ImagePosted Image

Please let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

Edited by iammykyl, 02 October 2012 - 05:25 AM.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok update time. Aria is refunding me in store credit because they don't currently have what I bought in stock. They sent it off to the manufacturer after finding a fault with it but they haven't heard back from them. I would rather be buying the same graphics card from another company since Aria's customer service has been pretty awful (don't buy from there!) and I have been 35 days without a graphics card.

Regardless of that, I have to buy from there since I only have store credit. Can you recommend a card with similar specs that won't have any compatibility issues? The card (Radion 6870 HD) cost about £110 so I am looking for something similar in price.

The website is aria.co.uk

I accidentally posted this update on the system building sub forum, so I'm just reposting here.

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I might buy the PALIT GeForce GTX 650 Ti which seems to come with good recommendation from a lot of sites, although I'm having trouble going over specifications in relation to what all the bloody acronyms mean!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This post copied from your other thread,
Hi Ape-x.
Sorry to see a problem with the GPU.
The 6870 is about the best in that price range. This chart will give you a good idea of performance,
> http://community.fut...om/hardware/gpu Your supply site is a little limited in choice. I see your options as going to another site for another 6870 or gong up to the next level,
> http://www.aria.co.u.../Radeon+HD+7850 Get some reviews on any you consider.

Let us know what you think.

I would not consider any 600 series below the 670. The further down the scale, the more crippled the board, and you are likely to being paying 110 + pounds, way overpriced. Look at this chart again, >

http://community.fut...om/hardware/gpu

a reviews.>http://kotaku.com/59...x-650-ti-review Please do some more research.

Edited by iammykyl, 13 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Advertisements

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Looks like your text didn't copy properly. I was originally considering the 650 Ti because I saw some reviews recommending it, but when I saw it only had a 86.4gbps memory bandwidth I wasn't so sure. So I suppose the next candidate is the 7850 then? It's a bit pricier but I suppose it will future proof me a bit. I might kick up a fuss and see if I can get any money off because these guys really did mess me about. :(

EDIT: I just noticed the 7850's port doesn't have two DVI slots, will I have to buy some mini-DisplayPort to DVI cables?
Posted Image

Edited by Ape-x, 13 November 2012 - 05:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the heads up, fixed the formatting.

Use the DVI out and then I would use one HDMI to DVI cable adaptor, this one gets excellent reviews, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812576006
Display Port adapters can be a bit hit and miss, unless you go for a active one, about $100

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
EDIT: after re-reading what you had posted I am retracting I question I was asking. Thanks for the cable link.

Edited by Ape-x, 14 November 2012 - 04:11 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ape-x.
Sorry that my instructions were not clear.

Connect first monitor using the adapter cable, (GPU HDMI out to monitor DVI in.)
Connect second monitor, (GPU DVI out to monitor DVI in.)

Ape-x

Ape-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
For some reason I assumed the DVI port was a VGA port which was why I was confused, my bad. Just out of interest, is there any discernible difference in viewing quality between HDMI and DVI cables?