Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot find server

• Please log in to reply

gbaby

gbaby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I have a Dell Dimension 2300 desktop for about 2 years and haven't had any problems until now. Blue warning screens were poping up and icons saying that my computer was infected with spyware. So, about a week ago I downloaded....Spybot Search + Destroy, Adware personal se, Spyware blaster, CWshredder, Winpatrol, Cleanup 40, and I also have Norton Antivirus. I have used all of these programs and found a significant amount of infections and infected files. So I got rid of those files and now the computer boots up properly. Then, I went to use AOL and my buddy list won't show up and when I try to go to websites "Cannot find server" message shows up and this address appears in the web address box res://C:WINDOWS\SYSYEM32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm Basically, from AOL I can only check my mail, and I'm posting this message from a different computer. I also just reinstalled all the aol software.

I am not really experienced with using computers. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys! :tazz:

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
OK, after your reinstall of AOL did it look as it normally does?

Secondly your Internet Explorer should not be looking at your c: drive for web addresses. How do you connect to the internet?

Did you run all of the spybot-esque programmes, all at once? Or did you run one, see if sorted the problem, then ru another etc.....?

gbaby

gbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

OK, after your reinstall of AOL did it look as it normally does?

Secondly your Internet Explorer should not be looking at your c: drive for web addresses. How do you connect to the internet?

Did you run all of the spybot-esque programmes, all at once? Or did you run one, see if sorted the problem, then ru another etc.....?

View Post

I actually reinstalled AOL 9.0...then it didn't work..so i uninstalled that and reinstalled 9.0 again...still didn't work...then i installed aol 8.0..and that didn't work either and now it has 9.0 again. I use a dial up modem to connect to the internet...and all the different area numbers have been tried....sometimes it takes awhile to connect as well.

I ran each spyware etc program separately. I ran Norton antivirus - found 1500 infected files...Trojan startup virus, download trojan, and backdoor trojan viruses were found. Ad-ware found like 800 things, Spybot found like 150 things, I still think it has something because the mouse pointer frequently changes to the hour-glass when there aren't any programs open. Also I downloaded Malware Scanner which found 81 things it took 4 days to complete the scan and then after it was done it told me i had to purchase it to remove everything. So I just closed that program. Should I go out and purchase another Spyware program or something? Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.