Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

bad91al

bad91al

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so I have a new internet service with Comcast (model # of modem: SB5101U) and I have a linksys router (model #: WRT54G). My wireless network keeps disconnecting every couple of seconds ONLY when I am connected to it and trying to use the internet. However, I don't think it is a problem with my Intel® Wifi Link 5100 AGN because when I connect to another open network around me(one of the other dozen networks around me), the connection is fine with no disconnecting. The security type of my network is WPA-Personal with a TKIP encryption and the network type is Access point. I have a sony vaio (VGN-CS320J) and my sister has a macbook pro. Both laptops have this problem. Also I dont think its a problem with the modem because the internet works fine when I'm connected to the modem with an ethernet cable. Im so confused because Ive been on google for hours figuring this out and I cant get anywhere. I've even called comcast and they told me to do a bunch of stuff like unplugging everything and plugging it back in which didnt work.

The network mode is 802.11g. It is on channel 6 right now.

You should also know that I have no clue what im doing and I dont actually know what this fancy lingo means, so step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, when i type 192.168.1.1 into my browser, i get an error message saying that the server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond which is weird because Ive been on that page before.

Advertisements