Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Male VGA on motherboard? What the...?

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
So I finished putting together my components that I upgraded from a couple months ago, into a new case. Everything was all plugged in and hooked up when I realized (upon plugging in my peripherials and power) that the motherboard has only a VGA port on it. That's all well and fine since I have a VGA monitor, but the port on the motherboard is MALE. What the...? How am I supposed to plug them in together? My mobo is an ASUS P5N-D for those wondering.

I looked online and saw some "gender changers" that are tiny little adapters with female VGA on both ends. Will that work for me? Where do I get one local to me (without having to order online)? I only need it so I can set up the video card drivers (the video card is a GeForce 9800GT with DVI ports, and I've already got the adapter for that).

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello GhostLoad

Have you tried connecting to the 9800GT from the outset using the Windows generic video drivers.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I don't have anything on the hard drive yet, it's formatted (was plugged into the PC I'm currently on) and needs Windows loaded on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If you can get a BIOS display and you have a Windows installation disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer change the boot sequence in the BIOS to DVD/CD drive first and the HDD second, this should then allow you to install the OS.

Let us know if you are able to do this.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I'm not getting anything yet, the screen is black (when plugged into the video card) and I don't have anything that can plug male VGA to male VGA for the motherboard video.

Edit: Oh, you're saying to install the OS on the hard drive using another computer, after setting this hard drive to 2nd in the boot sequence instead of 3rd like it was. Let me see if I can do that.

Edited by GhostLoad, 23 September 2012 - 06:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes if you can use another computer, you have 30 days to register your OS product key with Microsoft and so it can be done when fitted in the correct machine.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay I'm gonna try to do that now on another PC. BRB

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay, the other computer has a FoxConn mobo, and my roommate isn't home so I can't ask him, so what button do I hit to enter boot setup? :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The following keys are often used to access the BIOS on custom built machines, F8 or Del, branded computers may also use these keys but may also use F1, F2 or F12 for example.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay, it turns out DELETE key enters BIOS setup for that PC. 1 problem out of the way. Next problem is this; I hooked up my hard drive (SATA cable) and when I go through the boot priority setting, it's only recognizing 1 SATA device (the hard drive that was already plugged into the FoxConn PC in the first place). I know my hard drive works because yesterday, prior to pulling it out of my main rig, it was working fine and the rig was recognizing it. How come this FoxConn PC isn't seeing the 2nd SATA hard drive plugged in?

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Scratch that, I think I got it to boot my hard drive before the original one in it. Problem now is it's going to a black screen with a blinking cursor on it and does nothing. I set the CD drive ahead of the HDD in the boot priority, but it's not trying to install Windows.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I redact all prior statements, just took me a couple minutes of fiddling with the BIOS of a mobo I've never worked with. It's currently installing windows onto my hard drive. Will update with more information as I continue.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay I'm starting to install Windows and after hitting the big Install button it tells me "No device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please disconnect your friends HDD from the MB to avoid any possible mishaps such as data corruption.

What type of OS disk are you using.

For future reference, when you have yet to receive a reply use the Edit button to add further information or ask any questions, it is what the feature is for + it does not fill up peoples mailbox <_<

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I already disconnected the original HDD, I'm using Windows 7. And yes I think I just realized that.... sorry!

Something I read online is that there might be a problem with the CD if I'm getting that message. I know I have another Windows 7 disc somewhere, I'll have to look for it. Do you think that's why the message is popping up?

Okay just tried another Win7 disc and still getting the same "No device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK." error message.

Edited by GhostLoad, 23 September 2012 - 08:14 AM.