Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Viruses and Trojans [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Norrie,

I ran GMER but as I said the first half dozen checkboxes are greyed out. GMER says there' nothing wrong.
I installed MS Sec Ess after the first OTL scan but I have since uninstalled it. I have also uninstalled superantispyware but it seems to leave a few fragments when uninstalled.

Please re-read the following part of my original post:

Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.

• We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask, nothing extra. Do Not run things twice unless instructed.
  • Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
  • If I ask a Question just answer it, don't run anything unless directed to.

The last remaining symptom is that norton 360 is not working. If the UI is started it starts minimised and won't maximise. Live update will not start.

We may end up having to uninstall Norton and reinstall it. I don't know what you mean by "Live Update will not start. Live Update for what?

I'll have to get a hold of the original disk of the laptop owner and try a reinstall.

Do you mean the Windows disk and try a reinstall, or are you talking about the disk for Live Update?

There is still part of the zero access rootkit on the system. We can kill it, but there isn't any need to do that if you are going to reinstall Windows. And you will need to stop installing and uninstalling programs and running scans and/or fixes I haven't asked for. It makes the job harder as the scans are so different it's hard to tell what is going on with the system from scan to scan

If you want to continue, please answer my questions above. Don't uninstall or install anyhting else or run any scans. Just answer my questions and we'll take it from there.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.