Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will Car Adapter 12-Volt Match My Notebook?

• Please log in to reply

Donegal

Donegal

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a HP- G60 Notebook -- Now, I found some good (excellent Priced) Car Adapter12-Volt Power (Plug-in Lighter) on Ebay. One that Lists My very Computer as Compatable (at only $14.95) . Now, when I contacted directly to HP Sales website they had one but it was $89.99 (WOW). Anyway, what I was not Clear on was the following -- the one on ebay said "65 WATT" (which is what the one says that I have that works off 120 Volt house voltage) but the one HP wanted to sell me, for &89.99, they said was "90 WATT" -- So, the QUESTION hoping to CLARIFY -- could it be when it comes to WATTAGE that either one will work and neither one will cause any HARM because WATTAGE will not Harm my Notebook )(a Guy at BestBuy said something like this that WATTAGE will not hurt as it is simply that a Big Picture will fill an Ice Tray quicker than a Little Cup will) --- Is that all true -- will I be safe in not THROWING MY MONEY AWAY and getting the Better Priced 12-Volt Car Plug-in?????????

Edited by Donegal, 24 September 2012 - 07:29 AM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You need to look to see what the power requirements are for you computer. If it is rated at the lower power, then it should work. If not, then most likely it won't work.

The person you spoke to at BestBuy is an idiot. Sorry, but that is true. The wattage is the amount of power the device can deliver and a higher wattage device will not work faster. If your computer tries to draw more power (current times voltage) than the device is rated for, then the device can be damaged (overheating) or a fuse will blow (hopefully).

It might be that the HP device works with other computers which need more current than yours does, in which case the ebay device might work. Often the higher wattage rated device will work with devices which don't draw as much current, as long as the device is designed properly. Some power supplies use the load to control the voltage, so at low currents, the voltage can be high.

Donegal

Donegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Many Thanks Kamasa -- The Only Thing is this -- Questions 1) For someone who is not that Computer Technical Savy -- just where do I look and How do I know I am getting the correct Bit of Power Info to Match the item mentioned??????

Actually, I have an Addendum Question to this -- Question 2) I've noticed all over (Walmart et al) now that they sell these Car Voltage Adapters for Converting the Cars 12-Volt to a Household 120 Volt with 1,2, or more Plug-ins. So, if this is the case -- can you just get one of these and then where I have the Power Cord Adapter for 120-Volt plug-in that I use at home -- Can I just use that and then have the advantage of Pluggin in any other 120 Volt Items (ex. T.V.s, Coffee/Teapots, or what-have-you)???????

Many Thanks for your time!

Edited by Donegal, 24 September 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Your computer's user manual should have the specifications in it, typically in the back. Most likely if the seller is claiming that it will work with you computer, it might :-).

Do you know the exact model of you notebook?

In looking at some of the models, it claims that the operating current is either 3.5A or 4.74A, which shows that it depends on the computer, most likely also considers what disk drive it has. It also lists 18.5V @ 3.5A (65W) or 19V @ 4.74A (90W).

The specifications could be better, to say the least. Some of the notebooks seem to have solid state drives, which should use less power.

Donegal

Donegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Kamasa: I have an HP G60-235DX Notebook PC -- It did not come with any Manuals -- ?? Even when I look through its HP Help Advisor in my Computer -- it only gives General Info and not the "specific" info for my particular Model -- example, pasted below is what it says ...

Understanding HP Notebook PC AC Adapters
The AC adapter supplied with your HP notebook PC consists of a power cord, a power supply, and a cord that connects the power supply to the computer. The adapter takes alternating current (AC) from the AC outlet and converts to direct current (DC) that your notebook PC can use to operate and to charge its battery.

While using the AC adapter, it is important not to move the HP notebook PC, as this may damage the DC connector on the computer.

The AC adapter provided with your HP notebook PC has a power rating of 65 watts or higher. This is the maximum power that it will be provided to the HP notebook PC. Many of the HP notebook PCs are also equipped with a smart AC adapter which has an indicator used by the HP notebook PC to determine how much power is available from the smart AC adapter. The HP notebook PC will throttle back the power usage based on the smart AC adapter capability. This enables you to carry a smaller adapter when you travel and use a full size adapter when you are docked or at your desk.

AND HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF ONE FROM EBAY: (HERE IS THE LINK http://www.ebay.com/...=item3362c90eac

SPECIFICATIONS :

COMPATIBILITY :

PWR+® Car Chargers

Output Voltage : 18.5V
Output Current : 3.5A
Power : 65 Watt
Brand new

Please refer to the title
of the listing.
Will fit all HP/Compaq laptops
with above specifications

Made with the highest quality components PWR+ chargers ensure
uninterrupted system operation and battery charging.
Laptop safeguard features include incorrect voltages, short circuit
and internal overheating protection.
100% compatibility with the original.
PWR+ trademark is pending registration with USPTO. PWR+ products are
marketed and sold exclusively by PWR+

Edited by Donegal, 24 September 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can find the manuals on the HP web site:

http://h10025.www1.h...roduct=3860169

Based on what you said, the notebook can detect the type of adapter. I don't know if there is something special about the higher power adapter which tells the notebook that it can draw more power or not, I would assume so since it seems to indicate that the higher power adapters are smart adapters. Using the lower power adapter means that the computer will most likely slow down, so as to draw less power. This tends to indicate that the cheaper adapter will work, but there will be an affect on the computer, based on what it does to use less power.

Donegal

Donegal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So, when you say it can "slow down" my computer -- does that mean it can also harm and damage my computer? OH, ALSO, then what about if I used those Car adapters that convert to 120 Volt and THEN I would be "pluuging in to that" the actual HP Adapter (the one I use at home0 the one that actually came with the Computer?? It seems slightly incredulous that there is not an easy and clear answer to be found here :-( By the way, below is the specs of one on ebay I was looking at ......

AND HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF ONE FROM EBAY: (HERE IS THE LINK http://www.ebay.com/...=item3362c90eac

SPECIFICATIONS :

COMPATIBILITY :

PWR+® Car Chargers

Output Voltage : 18.5V
Output Current : 3.5A
Power : 65 Watt
Brand new

Please refer to the title
of the listing.
Will fit all HP/Compaq laptops
with above specifications

Made with the highest quality components PWR+ chargers ensure
uninterrupted system operation and battery charging.
Laptop safeguard features include incorrect voltages, short circuit
and internal overheating protection.
100% compatibility with the original.
PWR+ trademark is pending registration with USPTO. PWR+ products are
marketed and sold exclusively by PWR+

Edited by Donegal, 24 September 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Based on what you wrote, it would not harm your computer. It just means that the computer goes into a power saving mode, much like many laptops do when running on batteries.

BTW, the ebay link did not work for me, but it does not really matter.