Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Iphone stuck in recovery mode! HELPP!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

xjessicax

xjessicax

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, so this all started with me wanting to restore my phone. I am tired of it being jailbroke. I have a iphone 4s.
Now when i went to restore it, it makes you upgrade, Which is fine. Thats what i wanted.
Problem is, i would get a "network connection timed out error" Everytime i tried to do this.
So i downloaded a 6.0 fireware. and fallowed the instructions and put it under the software update folder.
Well, finally it went through the recovery and all that good stuff. well half way through. It stopped.
Now my phone is stuck in recovery mode and, i cant restore it HELPPPP!!!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
  • Press down the Home and Power buttons on your iPhone until it shuts off.
  • Connect it to your computer with the USB cable.
  • Press and hold down the Home button.
  • Hold it down until iTunes says your device is entering recovery mode.
  • Now you should be able to Restore using iTunes.

xjessicax

xjessicax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
See thats the problem, I can get it there, but it has to download the stupid upgrade before i can restore it. I get the "network connection timed out error" Everytime i try to download the upgrade.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Stuck in recovery is a common problem with phones that are upgraded after being jailbroke.

The next step is to try DFU (Device Firmware Update).

Follow the same steps as above, but at #3 press and hold the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time. After 10 seconds release the sleep/wake button. It might take a few tries.

Cruise475

Cruise475

Trusted Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
Also, if the device was jailbroken it actually modifies your Hosts file! You will need to remove the reference in the hosts file to apple. This may or may not help you actually be able to get it working.

If you have another computer to use that a device has not been jail broken on you increase your chances of recovery.

Like admin said you are going to want to put it into DFU Mode before going to update. Anything other than that will not work.

I recently fixed a friends phone with the exact same problem. Once I removed the line in the hosts file, it still was not working. I tried it numerous times. It eventually started working. What was curious, and you can try this is. I removed the sim card to move it to another phone and as soon as I did that it started working. I don't know if it will help or not. But it's worth a shot!

goodoa

goodoa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!!!
I am trying to recover my iphone after error 1604 while restoring through iTunes but I canīt.
My problem is that after the error, I just saw the screen " connect to iTunes" and thatīs all. iTunes does not recognize it anymore so I canīt restore it. neither the pc recognizes it in this mode. the steps to follow to put it in recovery mode do not make any change! I have already tried with two computers, ... and I have also unistalled and installed iTunes although updated 3 days ago!

What can I do?

Thanks a lot , I am desperated

AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try to put it in DFU mode and then restore it.

You can try these steps below:

1. Try another USB cord.
2. Restart your computer for a try.
3. Hold the power button, it might restart your iPhone.
4. Update your iTunes to the latest version. Plug in your iPhone.
If iTunes can't recognize it, then in iTunes in the top left corner click help > run diagnostics.
On the box that comes up, check the last two things. Click next and it should identify your iPhone and then restore it.