Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'My Computer' and Disk Management doesn't recognize hdds

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi . . .

My PC:

- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard
- HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II 8-Port Controller Card
- Windows XP Pro x64

My internal hdds (12 of them) are all Sata, configured as IDE. I never had a problem until now. One of them failed and I replaced it with 1T Model WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Black Caviar 64mb cache. The label on the drive says: "jumpered pins 3-4 enables PUIS. Pins 5-6 limits PHY to 3bgps" I don't know what this means. I never had to change jumpers on a hdd. My pc and disk mgmt always recognized new hdds right away. I would change the configuration from Dynamic to Basic, do a quick format and then start using them.

I then went into "Add Hardware" but the hdd isn't listed there either.

Also, another strange thing came up in Disk Mgmt. Some of the hdds that are listed in My Computer are no longer listed in Disk Management. I can access the hdds though and have been using them for a couple of years.

Could it be that I need a driver for these hdds? I don't know what to get or where to get it though.

Can someone help?

Attached Thumbnails

• hdds and pc mgmt.jpg

Edited by Denisejm, 25 September 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

My internal hdds (12 of them) are all Sata, configured as IDE. I never had a problem until now. One of them failed and I replaced it with 1T Model WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 Black Caviar 64mb cache. The label on the drive says: "jumpered pins 3-4 enables PUIS. Pins 5-6 limits PHY to 3bgps" I don't know what this means. I never had to change jumpers on a hdd. My pc and disk mgmt always recognized new hdds right away. I would change the configuration from Dynamic to Basic, do a quick format and then start using them.

PUIS = Power-Up In Standby (You do not need this for a desktop)

For the other one it depends on your drive, if you have the option of limiting the data trandfer to 3gbps it means your HD is by default running at the speed of 6gbps. Your smotherboard only works at a maximum of 3gbps so if i was you i would short those two pins and try again to see if the BIOS (first) and windows (second) detects your hd

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks for responding, Alzeimer.

I don't have caps so I was going to go to the pc store and pick a few up but I didn't make it today. I'm trying for tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
ok, i never got to the pc store for one reason or the other, so I tried to connect the hdd again, following the directions from memory that i've always used, the same as i tried before i posted here. i tried to update drivers from Device Manager, i downloaded drivers from DriverGenius, and i went into Disk Manager several more times but nothing helped. I then sent WD an email and they responded by basically saying that the hdd needs no new drivers and that it's just plug and play, so no help from there either.

I don't know what happened but the last time i connected the drive, it showed up in Disk Management (but not in My Computer). I changed nothing, installed nothing and reset nothing but there it was! From there, I just changed it from Dynamic to Basic, did a quick format, assigned it a drive letter, and I'm now copying back-up files to the drive.

God must've felt sorry for me and did a 'give me' :)

Thanks for responding to my question. Knowing that help is out there is very comforting.

Denise