Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i think i may have a virus /comp redirected to amazon [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Ok theanks essex can we keep this open in case i need assistance moving forwarsd ?

Advertisements

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Hi essex i ran the destructive recovery and am in the process of updating stuff as it comes up i need to get sp3 but had a problem so i will try again later
i have security essentials and would like to know what programs you think i should install fpr optimal security

Thanks for all your help Essex i will be following thru with the pm i sent a while back most likely sat :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not a problem once you are settled let me know what you have and we will then work a security solution around that

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Thanks essex
I am currentlr have security essentials / but norton 60 day trial is also on i think it has antivirus but idont think i want norton
i had super anti spyware /malwarebytes free version /spybot search and destroy and i also used t f c weekly but they are all gone now:)
i have xp sp2 but trying to update to sp3 now (i had it before destructive)

i try to get automatic updates from windows update and i cant update anything i tried the microsoft update and that failed as well how can i get sp3 without windoows update ?

Edited by snowysdad43, 18 October 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK first we will remove Norton.
Download the Norton removal tool to your desktop
Via control panel > Add/remove uninstall Norton
Once done then run the Norton removal tool

Next Download XP SP3 to your desktop
Then install SP3

Now try windows updates.. If it fails then download and run this small MS Hotfix

SAS and MBAM are a good Combo if used as run on demand scans, not overly impressed with Spybot, as IE8 which I will give a link for covers the areas that it protects

If not allready installed then download and install IE8

Once that is installed then download and install the EMET Notifier (an MS security tool) this will protect system files

Do you intend to use Firefox or Chrome as additional browsers

Also to protect yourself whilst browsing we will need some way to ensure that all the links are valid and not going somewhere bad
There are some toolbar options for this, but I am not a great fan of toolbars
The AV I use has the following as a part of the standard install

Web Shield

Scans all visited web pages, downloaded files, and java scripts. Thanks to the intelligent stream scanning feature, the Web Shield doesn't slow your web browsing.

Basically what this does is monitor the web page that you are visiting for any redirect links, all the pages as they download are passed through the Antivirus scanner before they are displayed on the screen

Something to think about and do for you there.. Once you have done the above, let me know if there are any further questions at all. If you wish to replace your current AV for the one I use than I can walk you through the procedure

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Hi again Essex
ok I am having issues here :) i downloaded sp3 last night from filehippo and it went thru ok
then i updated java and also deleted a bunch of jynk that came with the computer (games) after restart it shut down on its own and i had a message i e had changed since last logon now it wont start in normal mode or last known good configuration it starts xp fopr about 5 sweconds then a super quick blue screen with info but its so fast i cant read it i can only start up in safe mode
note: when it starts up the nimber lock light comes on and seconds later it shts down and is stuck in a loop start shutdown ?? is it possible the malware i had could have altered the partition on my hard drive and remained in hidden files or folders ?
also i have not run any of your last suggestions yet as i am trying to work around this issue

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It is not impossible, but it is improbable. Did you delete the stuff via add remove ?
Firstly try a system restore from safe mode.. If that fails then follow this procedure to try and locate the problem :

Lets check for driver conflicts, startiing in safe mode

Step 1: Start MSConfig

Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

1.In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2.Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3.Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4.Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5.Click the Services tab.
6.Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7.Click Disable All, and then click OK.
8.When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

1.If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
2.When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

Are you able to get to normal windows now ? If so we will start trouble shooting

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok essex making progress i was not able to normal start after the procedure you recomended i did restore and removed games again via add /remove then installed sp3 then problem reoccured ,so i uninstalled then installed the ms hotfix you provided earlier
this allowed me to get into windows update whih installed a couple updates (ms validation tool and a xp security update 'i was then prompted to install about 79 uodates lol
My question now is do i have to install all these updates for sp2 or will the xp3 update be a culmative one thus eliminating the need for the 5 hour estimated updates for sp2 ?
p.s. i also uninstalled norton and installed ie 8
thanks for your patience and your assistance

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unfortunately they are not cumulative, however as some updates are installed others will become redundant so the number should reduce somewhat..

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
update installed all sp2 updates then restarted ,then sp3 was offered automatically through windows update ,iI installed again update went through was installed /restart and then the super fast blue screen flash and computer stuck in loop if i try normal start or last known good config so i uninstalled and was able to start up normal again result stuck in sp2 lol

but on a bright note my comoputer is fast on the boot :)

Edited by snowysdad43, 20 October 2012 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you look in the following location and see if there are any minidump files, if so could you zip and attach them

C:\windows\minidump

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I cant find it Essex
I try start/run then C:\Windows\Minidump prompt says cant find "C:\windows\minidump "
also tried search files and folder
i checked to configure to save dump files and it was set up ?

edit : reran windows update and got 1 more update while in sp2 Then tried update for sp3 and it worked !! wooohooo

I dont know why but it worked must have been missing that 1 file from sp2 ??? retsrted twice to be sure :)
anyway going to reinstall m s e for now then will proceed wityh your previous instructions
I almost feel safe enough to use my paypal :) :)

Edited by snowysdad43, 21 October 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
:) OK time to continue securing this beast :)

Next will be to install the EMET security tool http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=29851 this will protect some system files..

Then we will need to look at a link/web scanner security tool

Would you consider changing antivirus or would you prefer a toolbar addon type ?

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I'm not sure either is ok but i trust your judgment better than mine :)
I downloaded emet but cant install because i need .net framewor 2.0 or greater i have version 1.1 right now should I have both versions or do i need to update this version ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can add 2.0 as an addition to the other versions

Available here this is the version you need NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

OK the best way is to integrate all the elements into one

For that I would recommend Avast

Download Avast free to your desktop
Disconnect from the internet
Uninstall MSES via control panel > Add/remove
Run the Avast set up file
On the first page you will see this .. Deselect Chrome and the Google home page
[attachment=61152:Avast Install.png]
Then just let it do its thing
Once done it will ask if you want a boot time scan select No
Reboot if asked

When you have rebooted it will ask you to register (This is to ensure enough update servers are available, nothing else)
A registration guide is available here and will take about 20 seconds to complete
Be aware that Avast will talk to you, it will tell you when it updates and when it has detected anything

OK and the final security element is an image of your drive as it stands now. This will enable you to restore the system to its current state (that inludes all updates and programmes and files )
For that I would recommend Paragon Backup Free