Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slow. HDD light on most of the time.

• Please log in to reply

UBS

UBS

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My computer is very slow to react, especially while opening programs. Programs do not respond if I don't wait for sometime. The HDD light is on most of the time. Please help!

NOTE: I have tried the Virus, Spyware, Malware forum. I have been told that the issue is not related to spyware or malware.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello UBS

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
@ phillpower2....

My apologies for the interjection, this may shed some light on the situation so to speak. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you Dakeyras, most helpful :thumbsup:

UBS

I can only echo the analysis of Dakeyras, the lack of available free storage space + the FAT32 file system as opposed to NTFS will no doubt be causing the issue, this needs to be remedied asap as it will not only corrupt the registry it will also cause mechanical failure of the drive.

As the HDD is borderline on failing before I make any suggestions for you to free up space/tidy up the HDD can you please try and free up some space yourself by going into Add/Remove programs and uninstall any programs that you know 100% for sure what they are, old games that you no longer play for example, if you are not sure what an entry is leave it well alone and ask about it when you next reply.

Once there is a safe amount of storage space on the HDD you should convert your file system to NTFS, we will provide information as to how to do this once you have a healthy drive.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks phillpower2. I will try to free up some space and then let you know so that you could teach me how to have the NTFS system. One question has just popped up in my mind- why do companies make HDD when the user cannot fully utilize the space they offer? The other thing is, my computer was working just fine even when I had all the partitioned drives almost full for 2-3 years. Why is it acting up now? Is it like cancer or something that weaken the system over a period of time? Your answers would really mean a lot to me. And yes, I will do as you have suggested.

Thank you. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome UBS :thumbsup:

why do companies make HDD when the user cannot fully utilize the space they offer?

Not sure what you mean but I can say that many HDDs that are advertised as 1TB cannot actually store that amount of data, different tables of measurement are used, a google explanation;

1TB stands for 1 terabyte which is 1,099,511,627,776, bytes (aprox 1100GB). Hard drive manufacturers use a different table corresponding 1TB to 1000GB which is just not true. So a 1TB hard drive usually gives you around 930Gbytes of storage capability.

my computer was working just fine even when I had all the partitioned drives almost full for 2-3 years. Why is it acting up now

In a nut shell, you have been lucky as a HDD with such limited available/free storage space on it could fail instantly if you were unfortunate enough.

I will look out for your update.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Thank you Dakeyras, most helpful :thumbsup:

You're welcome! :)

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have freed up some space on the partitions- >4 GB in all partitions. I hope this much free space is enough. What next? Convert from FAT32 to NTFS? I would require help with that too.

Thank you.

Edited by UBS, 02 October 2012 - 04:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry UBS but that is not enough free space, you should have 16 - 20GB as a minimum at all times.

Can you possibly free up any more storage space yourself!

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi phillpower2.

I have 4 partitions. Maximum storage capacity of each partition is 19.5 GB and one partition has a maximum storage capacity of 15.9 GB. Would I have to delete almost everything? Please guide me.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello UBS

For converting your files from FAT32 to NTFS please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
Once this is done you should back up all of the data that you wish to keep either to disk or a second HDD, we will help you with this if and when required.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi phillpower2,

I was able to convert 3 partitions to NTFS but was unsuccessful with C drive even after a restart. Please guide.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello UBS

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for your reply phillpower2.

I have done as per your suggestion. Please find the screenshot of the computer management screen attached herewith. As per the same, C drive is seen to be healthy. However, when I scan drive C with tuneup utilities, it shows file system error on that drive. When I run a thorough analysis after rebooting, nothing happens, as in, it scans but does not correct the problem. I feel there is something wrong with the C drive.

Please help.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Computer Mgmt Screenshot.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello UBS

However, when I scan drive C with tuneup utilities, it shows file system error on that drive.

Is the program at the attached link what you are referring to http://www.tune-up.com/
If it is or even a similar type of software please remove it from your system and refrain from using so called system optimizers in the future as they have the potential to render your system inoperable, some further information @ http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: