Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios update

• Please log in to reply

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I recently purchased 2gb of ram to put into my desktop computer, and i am wondering if its also necessary to update the bios?

I have a Compaq presario sr1807cl which is a xp system, although im running windows 7 on it about 1.50gb installed total which is why i am installing more ram since its not enough.

i know you have to go to the manufacturers website to download the bios update, done that, but for this model there is only windows xp updates and vista.

here is my question: if i download the windows xp bios update and install it, how will it affect windows 7.

this computer takes the pc3200 ddr sdram dimm memory, which i do have 2 of them

Edited by mavriklu, 30 September 2012 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello mavriklu

You do not need to update the BIOS when installing additional memory, also please note that the BIOS should never be updated unless it is to resolve a known issue, updating/flashing the BIOS carries certain risks and if it goes bad it can ruin your motherboard.

The version of Windows 7 that you are using will determine how much Ram is required or that will be recognized in the case of 32 and 64-bit versions.

FWIW, Windows has nothing to do with the BIOS, it is motherboard related.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
thank you for your help regarding this topic

most windows 7 or all 32bit or 64bit require 2gb to 4gb to run perfectly. i did check online for the amount of ram needed for win7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also understand that a 32 bit OS will only use about 3.5 to 3.7 gigs of memory. If you want to use more you will have to change to a 64 bit version of the OS which you cannot simply update to. :thumbsup:

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Luckily i have the 64bit version of windows 7

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:thumbsup: Good then the only restriction you would have is how much memory total your motherboard will support.

The_Lantern

The_Lantern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
the maximum ram for this system is 4gb.

Edited by mavriklu, 30 September 2012 - 05:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should be good then. :thumbsup: