Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking knowledge from Smart People :)

• Please log in to reply

KyCats

KyCats

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I read your post on the items you had in mind and the one thing that caught my eye, especially for a NEW build, is there was no mention of an SSD drive?!?!!! I didn't read each response word for word so someone else may have already brought this up but for a new build, make sure to install your OS and all applications on an SSD drive and use your standard platter type HDD for data such as music, pics, videos, etc. You will notice a DRAMATIC improvement in speed and responsiveness. I just completed a new build myself and it's literally a night and day difference in performance. I went from XP SP3 on a std HD to a Win7 64-bit OS on an SSD and my boot time alone went from 210 seconds to 17...!!! Pretty much any newer SSD would work (I chose the vertex 4 120GB for my build and I love it). Look into it, you won't be disappointed.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi caitlynboutros .

Sorry if this appears to be a Posted Image but is not meant as such.

And I was about to go ahead with it, but my brothers say I have to get one of my guy friends to approve it

Please do not buy any parts before posting a final build so we can do a compatibility check. I urge you to reconsider the build you have proposed. Although we are unpaid volunteers, many on the forum have years of experience configuring builds, some running their own computer hardware firms. We try to spec balanced systems suited for a persons specific requirements, (try hard to keep as close to budget as possible) and usually, with many viewers on a topic, we get it as good as possible.

CPU. by stepping back a generation and non K, you loose, 4000 integrated graphics, basic speed, native support for DDR3-1600, to name a few. Complete comparison,

> http://ark.intel.com...are/52209,65520 $14 saving.

Mobo. Is slightly better featured, will have another look.

RAM. By buying 2 stick in separate packets, instead of 1 packet with 2 sticks, and although they may have the same specifications, they could come from different production runs, so may not be happy running together. cost $8 more.

HDD. No good for a boot drive. Significantly lower performance, usually used in laptops being smaller. should only be used on a desktop for storage or backup. $26 more.

GPU. lower performance, especially on larger monitors. $46 saving.

Case. Specs are pretty good but, not a good buy. If you read the cooling solutions carefully, you will find it is only supplied with 1 blue led front fan. so the min you would need to buy is a 120mm rear fan and I think not enough airflow without installing a top fan. $66 saving. I will find a better solution.

CPU. Please read this review. > http://www.anandtech...ferent-prices/6

Will post a revised list this evening.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi KyCats
Yes, I agree, load time is much better, gaming is a little better but other factors have to considered

Budget for one, I think better to spend more on the core components to get the best performance ie. $30 more on the CPU and $50 more on the GPU. A SSD can be added later.
Also when you have a separate DATA drive, you need to go through the process of optimizing the OS, SSD, HDD to get the system to perform correctly. In this instance the build will give an excellent gamer, at the very beginning.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi caitlynboutros.

How are you going with the selection of parts". An update would be appreciated.

caitlynboutros

caitlynboutros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys!!

So sorry for not replying sooner - got caught up in study and 2 jobs!! hahah
Finally I have a full day off and some spare time to look at this again!!

This I think may be my final compilation:

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/lsbu

Your thoughts are, and always will be, appreciated!! :D

Caitlyn

Zolton33

Zolton33

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
First thoughts you do not need to buy a cpu cooler especially for locked cpus such as the 3450. And no operating system included within the build. I would skip buying the cpu cooler and put that money into a better cpu mainly the 3570k.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Your build is compatible.
Consider this video card as it will give much better performance, > http://pccasegear.co...oducts_id=19849
Review of the 650 ti, >> http://www.tomshardw...06,3318-19.html

caitlynboutros

caitlynboutros

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So, I built it and it's all working!!!

...except for the internet. I don't know what's wrong, but even when I plug in my network cable, it doesn't connect. Do you know why this might be?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry for the delay, missed you last post. Congratulations on completing your build, Posted ImagePosted Image

was the Windows 7 you installed an OEM or full retail version?

some suggestions.
Check that both ends of the Ethernet cable are inserted correctly.
With the computer on, but no browser running, > switch of the router, ? Waite for 2 minutes, > switch on the router and wait for all light to be steady.
Start the browser. If you have an error, please post it and then try this,

> http://www.dummies.c...-windows-7.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Have you sorted out your problem yet? An update would be appreciated.

Advertisements