Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possilbe virus computer is not letting me download anything [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lapoole

lapoole

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I am having major computer issues my system is not letting me download any type of files from the internet. It downloads them then it immediately removes them. I use microsoft security essentials and it has not detected anything. I have tried using chrome, internet explorer, and firefox and they all have the same problem. My operating system is windows vista. Please help me if you can. I have tried to download malware bytes but the computer immediately deleted the file.

Advertisements

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts
Hello and welcome to the Geeks to Go Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum. My name is Josh and I will be helping you remove your infection. I am only human not superman - I can make errors but will do my best to help you as best I can so we can solve your problems. If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate you letting me know. Please include a clear description of the problems you're having along with any steps you may have performed so far if you haven't already.

Some of the following instructions to begin the malware removal process can be hard to follow - let me know if you have any questions. Please read all of my responses through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also please do not attempt any disinfection procedures without my instruction as things can go wrong that way or lengthen the time it takes to disinfect your computer. Also please follow your topic to conclusion or your system may not be completely clean, and it will be more vulnerable to future infections.

Throughout our interactions I will be using canned speeches. These are premade speeches for different scenarios we will encounter. If you find errors like bad links in my canned speeches please let me know so I can fix them.

Please copy and paste all logs into your reply. Do not attach logs to a post unless I tell you to or if they don't fit in the post.

One more thing - please refrain from using your computer until it is disinfected unless you absolutely have to (unless you are following my disinfection procedures) - if you do have to use your computer please disconnect it from the Internet - that way the current malware cannot propagate further infections.

I will get back to you soon with further instructions. Expect no more than 36 hours between your post and my response unless World War 3 breaks out and I will need at most 48 hours for initial analysis of your OTL log. Good luck! After 4 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.

lapoole

lapoole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay i will await further instructions

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts
Hi lapoole. The first step in troubleshooting your problem is to see if your issues persist with notepad.

Please open notepad: go to start menu --> accessories --> notepad
Type some text in the notepad window then save the file to your desktop
Let me know what happens i.e. if the file disappears just like what happens to your downloaded files.

Also let's try downloading files in safe mode. Please enter safe mode by doing the following:

• Restart your computer
  • Repeatedly tap F8 while it is starting
  • You will encounter an Advanced Boot Options Menu
  • Select the Safe Mode with Networking option
  • You will see a bunch of lines of system files
  • If you are prompted with a choice of user accounts select an administrator account

Once in safe mode try downloading files. If you can without the file being removed please do the following:

• Download OTL and save to desktop or other convenient location.
  • Double click OTL Posted Image to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select the Scan All Users box in the middle on the top of the window
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box paste this in:

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    WSHELPER.*
    consrv.dll
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    %Temp%\smtmp\1\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\2\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\3\*.*
    %Temp%\smtmp\4\*.*
    >C:\commands.txt echo list vol /raw /hide /c
    /wait
    >C:\DiskReport.txt diskpart /s C:\commands.txt /raw /hide /c
    /wait
    type c:\diskreport.txt /c
    /wait
    erase c:\commands.txt /hide /c
    /wait
    erase c:\diskreport.txt /hide /c
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won't take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. If you have already run OTL it won't open Extras.txt but Extras.txt will be in the same place as the new OTL.txt so simply open it manually.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic.

If the files are deleted in safe mode please try the following:

• Go to the Control Panel
  • Click Classic View on the left of the Control Panel
  • Double-click Folder Options
  • Click the View tab
  • Select Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders section of the Advanced settings section
  • Deselect the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) option under the Advanced settings section
  • Click the Apply button
  • Close out of Folder Options and Control Panel
  • Try again to download a file and see what happens
  • If you can download without deletion now run OTL as described above
  • If the deletion problems persists please do the following:
  • Go back to Folder Options
  • Select Do not show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders section of the Advanced settings section
  • Select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) option under the Advanced settings section
  • Click the Apply button
  • Close out of Folder Options and Control Panel
  • Proceed to answer the following questions:

Do you have access to another computer?
If so can you burn a cd on that computer?
Also if so do you have access to a flash drive with at least 4 GB?
Do you have access to a Vista install CD that is the same bit (32 or 64) as your current Windows install?
Do you have access to the recovery environment? (if so there will be an option that says "Repair your computer" in the Advanced Boot Options menu we entered for safe mode at the beginning of these instructions)
Is your Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Things to see in your next post:
notepad file results
OTL.txt and Extras.txt if you were able to run OTL in safe mode or after changing the hidden/system files settings
answers to all questions at the bottom of the instructions if you couldn't run OTL in safe mode or after changing the hidden/system files settings

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.