Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't save temp files or shortcuts to desktop

• Please log in to reply

marcel

marcel

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Running windows xp, with all the latest service packs. Recently, I've been having trouble with temp files located in c:\Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Temp. The errors I've been getting are with downloads from the internet, saving shortcuts and adobe acrobat. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What are the errors you are getting?

marcel

marcel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It's most noticeable when I attempt to update a file. I'll download the file, but then I'll get a message along the lines "Windows can not find C:\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Local Settings\Temp\dlm4f.tmp\TempFileCleaner_4.1.1.

When I went to download the latest version of Firefox, the installation began, but then aborted. I got the message "Extraction Failed. Can not open output file".

I've also noticed that the "My Recent Documents" section of the start menu never has entries.

I don't know if this is related, but adobe acrobat often crashes. I downloaded foxit reader as an alternative. However, when I go try to print, I often get the message "There is not enough space on your PC.Make room on the hard disk by deleting some files." However, my hard drive has over 350GB free.

I believe this last issue may be a RAM problem, since it seems to occur when the computer has been running without a reboot for some time, or where there are a bunch of open programs and windows. Often in that situation, the screen will sometimes freeze and parts of windows will not be visible. It then takes quite a long time to shut down the open windows.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking?