Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware HackTool: Win32/Patch.E and Win32/Wpakill.B [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts

For now I don't see any infection on your machine. You are talking about Kaspersky problems but do you have any isues with your system?

To elaborate:

First I'm sorry for "Kaspersky" I meant McAfee. Sorry for that.

I don't see any infection on your machine for now. HackTool: Win32/Patch.E and Win32/Wpakill.B that was found by Microsoft's Safety Scanner is windows hack that is used for non genuine Windows. So I must ask you here do you use legit copy of Windows on your machine?

All I can think off is that you have some strange problem with McAfee (because I don't see any infection). Is there any way we could uninstall McAfee from your machine just to test it without it for one day.

Also, can you tell me did VRT found and remove anything while it was scanning?

Advertisements

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes My problem might be with McAfee. Yes, to the best of my knowledge my copy of windows is legit. I searched Microsoft's Virus Definition for these two hack tools and found they had to do something with Windows Activation Technology. So once my McAfee showed that Windows Activation Technology wanted to access internet but I blocked it using McAfee Firewall. Yes I agree we should uninstall McAfee and see how stable the system is without it. As again the Real time scan got disabled as it is showing "McAfee real time scan is starting...*with buffering symbol". No VRT didn't show any detected threats.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts

I searched Microsoft's Virus Definition for these two hack tools and found they had to do something with Windows Activation Technology. So once my McAfee showed that Windows Activation Technology wanted to access internet but I blocked it using McAfee Firewall.

This could be the problem that Microsoft's Safety Scanner found. That's OK then.

Yes I agree we should uninstall McAfee and see how stable the system is without it

OK then. Uninstall it and see how is it doing without it. Please don't visit any web pages for now. First see how things work without McAfee and let me know. If you get any problems or error let me know.

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Can you suggest any other better anti-virus as substitute to McAfee ?. I am not very comfortable with this one. I will uninstall McAfee and tell you if I find any irregularities and problem.
Thankyou.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Of course. Here is my antivirus recomendation:

You can uninstall McAfee and install ONE of these above. Then you can test you system and web surfing. After that please come back with results.

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Should I install all three of these ? Will these free anti virus will able to protect my system ?
And yes sure I will come back with the results.
Thank you.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts

Should I install all three of these ? Will these free anti virus will able to protect my system ?

NO! Install only one.

I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my system and it's working great. I don't have any problems with system or malware. You can choose any of these three and you'll be happy for sure.

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Shouldn't I go for something like Kaspersky or Bit defender ? I am due on purchasing a anti-virus. And I am very confused as to which one to go for. If you could only explain what should I look for and what not.
Thank you.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Let's first try with one of FREE that I recommend you because we are still in "repairing mode" here :). If all goes well with your system I'll let you know what to look and how to choose your antivirus.

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I will go ahead with Microsoft Security Essentials then.
Thanyou.

Advertisements

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
My computer is really stable and functioning very efficiently now. It would be kind of you to help me decide a good anti-virus.
Thank you.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
As I already sad I use Microsoft Security Essentials and for now it's working great. Before it I had Avast FREE installed. There are NO antivirus with 100% protection. To choose your antivirus and other protection for your system please read This great article.

You can also try several AV product but never install two or more antivirus product on your system. That's the rule.

Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

Your logs and system are clean now. I'm glad we fix up your computer.

Step 1

Please close all running programs and Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [resethosts]
    [clearallrestorepoints]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Step 2

We need to clean up your PC from programs we used.

Please start OTL one more time and click CleanUp button. OTL will restart your system at the end.

In case that any of the software we used in this fix still remains on your system please delete it manually (Right click on it and select Delete).

General recommendations

Here are some recommendations you should follow to minimize infection risk in the future:

1. Something to read

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

2. Make Backups of Important Files

Please read this article Home Computer Data Backup.

3. Regularly update your software

To eliminate design flaws and security vulnerabilities, all software needs to be updated to the latest version or the vendor’s patch installed.

You should download Update Checker from here. The program will automaticly check for newer version of software installed on your system.

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I completed step 1 and 2 with OTL. My computer Has been restored to its optimal performance level and I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and I am planning to stick with it. I have also downloaded Emsisoft firewall.

I have heard about Sandboxing software that stop the program from making permanent change and stop virus from infecting the system. And also sandboxing web browsers prevent malware from infecting computer through internet. Please comment and Recommend.

Thank you.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Sandboxing software is great option to run your browsers in or to try application you don't really trust. They are really easy to use. I personally don't use any right now so I can't comment on what to use.

Best antivirus/antimalware/firewall is YOU. Remember that!

Goodbye and stay safe!

cRAYonhere

cRAYonhere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you Sir for your help.
Farewell.