Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Avira is another one we recommend a lot.

Trying to recall if that one also performance wise lacked a gaming mode. I know one of the one I use to use had a gaming mode.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I meant to mention the "error checking" of a drive you can do where it says next time your boot will run. I ran one of those before I did a defrag. When it was done it went to reboot and blue screened it has done this before however there is no report if I recall it fs.sys file I think. I've found it on other forums searching before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would seem the video driver was the main culprit of the BSOD's so you can try to install AVG again and test to see if the BSOD problem returns or not.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

It would seem the video driver was the main culprit of the BSOD's so you can try to install AVG again and test to see if the BSOD problem returns or not.

Installed and will let ya know if anything comes up. Any idea why BSOD would happen after "error checking" the drive before windows booting? Its happen a few times but no log since its before windows booting. I can't recall where I read people having similar issues. I wrote a few posts ago what I thought the error file was.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We'll get back to the other BSOD once we verify this one is resolved. Easier then jumping between the two.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
ok

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
On another note I'm reinstalling XP on my rents computer with there disc and there is no repair on that windows XP disc either odd odd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it a branded name installation disk?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
That one is for HP I believe. My rents computer that is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep upgrades and branded installation disks will not include all the same commands as a genuine Microsoft OS installation disk. They are more for recovery and not repair.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Yep upgrades and branded installation disks will not include all the same commands as a genuine Microsoft OS installation disk. They are more for recovery and not repair.

Ah ok

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
So far no BSOD beyond that one that happened after error checking before windows started

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Still no issues

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's been at least 2 days now without a issue. Any other BSOD's?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
No other issues and the only reason that one came up was because I ran error checking and I've read of others having a issue with it as well.