Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp running slow

• Please log in to reply

98webp

98webp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey can any1 help me find a reason for why my windows xp is running slow. when i restart the computer and the screen comes up with windows xp and the little green bar goes across the green bar goes across between 34 and 38 times before it loads to the next stage and i want to fix this without reformating my computer. I have run various tests on it like avg anti virus, speed disk, spyware things etc and i have also freed up alot of space but nothing seems to be working. I have 34 processes running on windows task manager which is not really alot compared with some people so i dont know what to do??? if an1 can help please email me or leave a reply on this site

Thanks 98webp ([email protected])

Advertisements

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
has this always happened? could be you need more RAM. how much do you have? you need at least 256 to run XP and should have 512...run msconfig
start
run
msconfig
and check out what programs are set to start on log in. deselect the ones you don't need. that should help some.

98webp

98webp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have 512 mb of ram and i am gettin another 512 so i can run the new battlefield. i have been looking on web all day and have been changing loads of things just need to restart my pc and see the changes. It has only started to happen recently tho and my games are becoming not laggy but u can see the frame change if you can understand what im saying it like jumps every 1 secs.

ControlSet00x

ControlSet00x

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
sounds a lot like malware...post a hijack log on the hijack forum (that is run hijackthis! and paste the results) hijackthis! can be downloaded from downloads.com.