Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to upgrade laptop

• Please log in to reply

tinamarie

tinamarie

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have an Acer Aspire running Vista, Intel CPU T2080 Processor, 2.00Gb Ram. I would like to add more ram to this laptop 6gb or 8 and would like to run windows 8 or 7. Can anyone give me advice on how to do this and recommendations for products? I mainly use this computer for pictures and music. If any more info is needed please ask? thank you in advance for any info given.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First lets deal with the memory issue. You need to use the laptop to get the correct scan on it.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

tinamarie

tinamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok here is results:
Memory DDR2 PC2-5300
Max Mem. 4 GB
Currently Installed 2GB
Mem Slots 2
Available 0
If thats not right let me know and it also says SATA VERSION SATA 1-1.5GB 33%FULL?

Edited by tinamarie, 16 October 2012 - 01:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK total memory you can install is 4 gigs in the laptop. Now what you need to know is that a 32 bit OS will only utilize 3.5 gigs at best so if you want to be able to use all 4 gigs you will have to get a 64 bit version of Vista or Win7.
Also in order to put the max memory in you would need two 2 gig modules since you only have 2 memory slots to use.

NewEgg HERE shows all the memory you can get. Personally I would suggest using the Crucial memory since you know it is compatible now.

As far as upgrading the OS to Win7 64 bit I would say you should have no issue since you are already Vista. I would suggest though you run the Win7 upgrade adviser below to make sure you will not have any compatibility issues.

A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7