Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Year old Dell Inspiron 570 hard disk failure

• Please log in to reply

dolbytg

dolbytg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 570 that is coming up on boot that it has a hard-drive disk failure. I used to be able to get into a utility by pressing F8 I think, that would take me to a diagnostic program, but that isn't working anymore. Is there any way to boot this thing up and run some sort of diagnostic on the hard drive or should I just take it that the hard drive is crashed and take it in to a computer shop. I would rather fix this myself but not sure how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dolbytg

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since all the utilities are packed in the faulty disk you cannot run any test unless it's done from an external source like a bootable CD.

Find out the make of your hard disk and download from here the hard disk test program of this particular manufacturer. Create a bootable CD and run a full test. This will tell you if the problem is with the hard disk itself. If it is, it must be replaced.

dolbytg

dolbytg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB. I tried to download the software from Seagate but the computer that I am using runs Windows Vista, the one that crashed on me runs Windows 7. I can't get the computer to boot up at all. If I replace the hard drive would you recommend going with a different brand or replacing it with the same, or are there more things that I can do to check the drive out?
Thank you for your suggestions and information.

Dolbytg

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The testing utility that I want you to run is a DOS file. You use your computer only to download the file from which you will create a bootable CD. The fact that the computer runs Vista Or Win 7 or XP is irrelevant.

Use the link that I gave you and find "Seatools for DOS V. 1.1". Use the link "Seatools for DOS (ISO CD-ROM image) to download the ISO file. Burn it to a CD to create a bootable CD and boot the computer with the new CD. Run a complete test.

Please note: burning an ISO file to a CD is not like burning other files. Your burning software must be capable of burning ISO files. If it isn't, download a burning program from here.

Re HD quality: I think they are all the same and I can't recommend any.