Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble With Network Bridge

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi there,

So I've got a router that I'd like to provide internet access to via a network bridge through my PC. The reason for this is I basically want to hide the router from the rest of the network; I'd like all traffic to be run through my PC.

So here's the situation:
The "Local Area Connection 1" adapter is plugged into the router's uplink port.
The "Local Area Connection 2" adapter is plugged into the WAN (which provides the internet connection)
In this configuration, devices connected to the router do not get internet access, although my PC still gets internet access via Local Area Connection 2.
So I create a network bridge between Local Area Connection 1 and Local Area Connection 2. This is where the behavior gets peculiar. Also, once I create the network bridge, I'm unable to obtain internet access at all on any device.
In this new configuration, at first, the status of the "Network Bridge" adapter is "Network cable unplugged." Then, after a little while, its status changes to "Unidentified Network," and at the same time, the status of Local Area Connection 2 changes to "Network cable unplugged." Periodically, the Local Area Connection 2 status will go back to normal ("Enabled, Bridged") for a few seconds at a time, although even when it does appear normal, I still do not get internet access on any device.

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide! :)

Edited by W-Unit, 16 October 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements