Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keyboard liquid damage

• Please log in to reply

CalicaCJA

CalicaCJA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I recently spilt liquid on the keyboard of my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, resulting in some of the keys no longer working.

I bought a new replacement keyboard, thinking this would solve the problem, but the same keys (Backspace, Enter, right Shift, arrow keys) are not working. If I plug in a USB keyboard everything works fine.

Does this mean my laptop has sustained damage to the motherboard, and essentially is not repairable?

Would appreciate any comments - thank you

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Calica, what was the liquid that was spilt? & how much?, What action did you take?, ie. did you remove the power & or remove the battery?. Remove the keyboard & look around the keyboard ribbon cable connector on the motherboard & see if there is any dried residue from the spilt liquid. Let us know what you find.

Edited by deggitt, 18 October 2012 - 05:14 PM.