Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad battery, mouses, chargers?

• Please log in to reply

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
For a while, my laptop has had some problems. It started with my first AC adaptor being plugged in, and not reading it all the time. I'd adjust how I was sitting and it'd work fine. But it continued getting worse and worse until the point that it didn't work at all. I was able to use another charger, and it worked just fine; so I figured the charger just went bad. However, I got a new one after I moved and it worked great to start..and then the same problem came up, again. So I'm assuming it's a problem with my computer.

I've also had problems with two mouses not being able to be detected anymore, and two phone chargers (the iPhone ones) not working anymore after being used in my laptop.

I do need a new battery. It's always got a red X on it and suggests I get a new one. I keep my laptop plugged in almost all the time, because of how bad the battery was. But it wouldn't explain the bad mouses/chargers would it?

Advertisements

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm assuming it's a problem with:

1.) Keeping it plugged in all the time
2.) Something is faulty with the plug ins. A bit too much power and it slowly breaks down whatever I plug into? Everything works fine when I first get it, but after a while it ends up not working.

Am I correct with these, and any idea how I would go about fixing it myself? Or would I most likely have to have an expert look at it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Psu22UL

Not a good idea as once the battery is fully charged it needs to be allowed to distribute the power as it is intended to, consider it along the lines of it being exercised, run it until it is tired, recharge it, repeat the cycle to keep it fit.

2.) Something is faulty with the plug ins. A bit too much power and it slowly breaks down whatever I plug into? Everything works fine when I first get it, but after a while it ends up not working.
Ports can become worn and loose down to nothing more than regular use, what is the brand and model of the notebook and how long have you had it.

Am I correct with these, and any idea how I would go about fixing it myself? Or would I most likely have to have an expert look at it?
This may depend on the answers to the questions that I have asked above.

I note that you have acquired a replacement AC adaptor, is it the same brand and compatible (correct voltage etc) as/with the notebook.

I would strongly suggest replacing the present battery with the same brand and specifications that are required.

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hello Psu22UL

Not a good idea as once the battery is fully charged it needs to be allowed to distribute the power as it is intended to, consider it along the lines of it being exercised, run it until it is tired, recharge it, repeat the cycle to keep it fit.

Ports can become worn and loose down to nothing more than regular use, what is the brand and model of the notebook and how long have you had it.

This may depend on the answers to the questions that I have asked above.

I note that you have acquired a replacement AC adaptor, is it the same brand and compatible (correct voltage etc) as/with the notebook.

I would strongly suggest replacing the present battery with the same brand and specifications that are required.

Yeah, the only reason I had it plugged in all the time was as it got older, the worse it got. It would last 30 mins at most so I'd just decided to keep it plugged in all the time. I'm unaware if this has anything to do with my problem of everything plugged into it going bad.

Brand is Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976. I've had it for a little over two years now. Offhand, I'm not sure if it's the same brand. I'll have to send a text home (I recently moved 4 hours away from my hometown). I assumed it was correct for the laptop, as I put in the specifics of my laptop and it came up saying it was a charger for it off of Amazon.

I plan on replacing the battery if I'm able to fix the computer with relative ease. If it's gonna cost a lot, I have another I am able to use. I would like to save this one if at all possible however.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Power issues can cause various types of problem but I could not say if it is causing the USB port issues.

See if you can calibrate the battery and if you can does it actually improve anything;

To Calibrate laptop battery pack, you must fully charge, fully discharge, and then fully recharge the battery pack.

Discharging the Battery Pack Disabling Hibernation;

To fully discharge the battery pack, disable Hibernation temporarily.
To disable Hibernation:
Select the Power Meter icon on the taskbar or access Power Options > Hibernate, and clear the Enable Hibernate support check box.

To fully discharge the battery pack:

1.Select the Power Meter icon on the taskbar, or select Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options > Power Schemes.
2.Write down the 3 settings in the Plugged In column and the
3.settings in the Running on Batteries column, so you can reset them after calibration.
4.Select the drop-down lists and set all 6 options in both columns to Never.
5.Select the OK button.
6.Disconnect the notebook from the external power source, but do not turn off the notebook.
7.Run the notebook on battery power until the battery pack is fully discharged. The battery light begins to blink when the battery pack has discharged to a low-battery condition. When the battery pack is fully discharged, the power/Standby light turns off and the notebook shuts down.

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Awaiting it to fully charge then. Not sure if this would help at all, but I'm sure my dad had texted me saying that my old charger was working with another laptop. The mouses I'd never really tested with another one; dumb of me thinking on it. The mouses would be powered on (light at the bottom showed up), but they would not be detected. The chargers would definitely be going bad (iPhone chargers). I'd have to wiggle them around sometimes, or an error would show up on my phone saying something along the lines of you can't charge this phone with this. I'll get the exact saying if you need it. This includes when I'd plug the charger into the wall, not just the laptop.

Not sure if any of that helps, but if you need any more info let me know. Also, thanks a lot for replying.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Reading the additional information that you have provided I suspect that you may have a bad power jack, these can become loose over time caused by nothing more than everyday use, does the jack where you plug the charger in appear loose in any way.

The chargers would definitely be going bad (iPhone chargers). I'd have to wiggle them around sometimes, or an error would show up on my phone saying something along the lines of you can't charge this phone with this. I'll get the exact saying if you need it. This includes when I'd plug the charger into the wall, not just the laptop.

Had we known this before it would have been helpful as there is no obvious link between the two issues.

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm able to move the power supply around quite a bit. And sorry, I should have been more specific in my posts. I'm going to text home to see if one of the mouses still works.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Part http://www.amazon.co...6/dp/B005YTM9HY
Replacement video

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Ok, thank you very much. Lastly, you said the USB port issue was something seperate; any idea what that would be?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ok, thank you very much. Lastly, you said the USB port issue was something seperate; any idea what that would be?

The chargers would definitely be going bad (iPhone chargers). I'd have to wiggle them around sometimes, or an error would show up on my phone saying something along the lines of you can't charge this phone with this. I'll get the exact saying if you need it. This includes when I'd plug the charger into the wall, not just the laptop.

The common denominator is the phone charger/port.

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Just the chargers going bad themselves? I suppose that wouldn't surprise me, as I've read they can be pretty easy to have go bad (tried looking into some of this stuff myself).

The first mouse I had is completely dead I believe. Was told it didn't work at all back home. Second mouse I'll have to try, but I'm a little suspicious with it going bad as fast as it did. If it works fine with other comps, would it be my ports going bad? As it'd just be unable to detect the mouse.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
A loose power jack could be responsible and until it is checked out anything else is speculation, has the other mouse checked out ok.

Psu22UL

Psu22UL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Unsure of where it is. I'm visiting home in like 2 weeks so I'll attempt to find it then. And if nothing else is able to be found until I fix what should hopefully be just the loose power jack, it'll be a little bit until I get that fixed up. Should we just close this up and I'll send PM if/when I decide to fix this up? It'll be two weeks before I even head home, and I don't have the money for a fix as of right now.

tiffany2007

tiffany2007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
It is most likely that your laptop dc jack is malfunction. So please repair it or replace the dc jack.