Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network 2 router help

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello I hope some one here can help me

I am living in a 3 story house and the wireless doesnt reach to the top floor very well, we are with talk talk and have a pc down stairs plugged directly into the adsl router and i have a 2 gaming pc's on the top floor, me and my partner are trying to play wow on these 2 machines together, i have a powerline (sends signal through elecricity cables) to eithernet my pc and the other one we tried wireless but get no signal, so i looked on the internet and saw i can use my spare router as a switch, so i tried that and hey presto it works i can run both pc's via eithernet or one eithernet and wireless up stairs, BUT when i log 2 pc's on upstaires the internet drops on the pc downstaires, this pc is her dads so i cant really steal all his internet :(. so is there something i am doing wrong or something that will aloow me to run all 3 pc's on the internet at the same time. the 2 routers are both talk talk and both have the ip address 192.168.1.1, if i put that IP into the upstairs pc's it loggs ontop the main router downstaires that is supplying the internet but if i do it on the pc downstaires it logs onto the router/switch upstairs?????????????????

do i need to change any settings? the router upstaires has 4 ports the one down only has 2.

please help as im really stuck, im not computer savvy so in lamen terms please :)

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
I would definitely change the IP on one the two routers... having 2 devices with the same IP address is never a good thing. Perhaps change one of them to 192.168.1.254. See if that helps anything.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Set the upstairs router base address to 10.0.0.1 so it doesn't conflict with the one downstairs.

That's the setup I have at the shop.

DSL modem to Netgear router (IP base 192.168.0.1)
Router feeds 3 computers.
One leg of router feeds a Linksys 8 port switch (IP base address 10.0.0.1)
Switch feeds 5 other computers.

Works great.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thats has sorted it thanks a lot for your time

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician