Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SFC /Scannow and checkdisk can't repair files

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.k. i recently ran sfc /scannow and it found some files that is was unable to repair.I also ran checkdisk too and also could not repair files.Iam trying to figure out what these files belong to,i can not understand the log to know what they are,i wonder if you can help me understand it,so i can either try to extract them from Windows 7 Home Premium disc if needed or try a repair install.I have attached a log just of files that could not be repaired.Iam not having any errors happening and don't know when these files went bad or corrupt to do a system restore to see if it would help.I hate to do a windows recovery if files aren't that important to system.

Advertisements

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
When you ran an sfc /scannow at the command prompt(or did you use the 'run' box)?

if files that could not be repaired were found,were you asked to provide a W.7 cd or anything?

A failed chkdsk scan may indicate a problem with the hdd.

Doing a hdd diagnostics test, is what i would suggest is best at this point.

Preferably choose one for the same brand as your hdd. or http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

Also see if this link may help you http://www.sevenforu...ns-restore.html

Edited by mysoul, 29 October 2012 - 04:56 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
No i ran scan disk not from boot,from within windows 7 command prompt under run as administrator,and no chdisk did not say anything was wrong,i just meant was unable to also repair files scandisk found corrupt,i thought checkdisk might be able to repair it,if scandisk couldn't.Hard drive is Western digital sata drive.no,scandisk never asked for windows 7 disk to repair it.Seems my only choice would be trying either scandisk from boot with windows disk,or do a repair install or a recovery.ty for answering trying to help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So you ran chkdsk /r from a Command Prompt and responded Y when asked if you wanted this to run at the next boot, correct?

What was the error message you received from chkdsk? I agree with jds63, sounds like the hard drive may be defective. Definitely worth running the manufacturers diagnostic to se4e what it finds.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Checkdisk did not see any errors,i only ran it cause i thought it would help,since scan disk showed corrupt files that it could not fix,even tho i thought checkdisk is a program that actually checks the disc for bad sectors,like if hard drive is bad not that it has corrupt windows files,am i right?,i am not sure if this is correct.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
chkdsk does both. Checks file system integrity and does a surface scan checking for bad sectors. If it finds any, it marks them bad and assigns one of the spares to replace it (if it can).

Please run the hard drive diagnostic and see if that shows any problems.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Ty,for help,now you say if it can,what if it can't,fix the files,that's my concern,does it mean need to do a repair install,a recovery,i will try the hard drive diagnostic utilities you and other suggested,but if drive is bad,all be solved with new drive,corrupt files and all after i have to put all my recovery on a new drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Agreed, first you need to see what the state of the hard drive is. If it' okay then a Repair Install would be the next thing to try. Good tutorial here: How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thank you for your help so far,but you know what,lately been thinking of a new PC,i also had another post on here which i had a problem with the PC not turning back on,when shut down,we thought was motherboard,PSU or power switch.This computer is about 7 years old,i felt all troubles lately,maybe was telling me time for a new one,so thank you for help,i think it is what i am going to do,not smart enough build my own,plus this ones becoming outdated,and with all issues lately,make a good paper weight,but thank you as always for your help,i certainly trust to come here for suggestions and help in future,i'll recommend this site to others,i have learned alot from this site,you guys are great,ty again.Close this post.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good luck. Most new computers will come with Windows 7 for a while yet with a free or cheap upgrade to Windows 8.
Get one that has at lest 4GB of ram and runs the 64 bit version of Windows.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
TY,yes i was looking at some already,most still had windows 7 home premium 64bit,as you said,free or cheap upgrade to Windows 8,at this point i really don't like Windows 8's looks,already have new monitor i bought,not touch screen,i liked windows 7 much better then i liked vista,had it on this machine already,but it's 32bit.Question,what do you think of Asus desktops,thinking of getting one,instead of Dell? One Asus i looked at had Intel core i5 processor,windows 7 home premium 64bit,6gb ram.

Edited by jds63, 02 November 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm not crazy about Windows 8 either but for $39 I couldn't pass it up. Currently running it in a dual boot setup with Windows 7 Pro X64 but I'll probably go with Windows 8 and use my retail copy of Windows 7 to upgrade my Vista laptop.

I do have Windows 8 looking and feeling like Windows 7 though it does not have Aero glass which I miss.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well i will stick with Windows 7,till work all kinks out of Windows 8,you know how that is,with a new operating system,takes a few service packs till get all bugs out,since it is new,look at xp was up to service pack 3,and i liked that over Windows Vista,almost,accept for like you say,aero glass affect,which still in Windows 7 as u say not 8.So i asked,what do u think of Asus for desktop systems?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't have any experience with ASUS computers, sorry. I have a Dell and HP Desktop ru8nning Windows 7 and a Toshiba laptop running Vista.

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Well i will stick with Windows 7,till work all kinks out of Windows 8,you know how that is,with a new operating system,takes a few service packs till get all bugs out,since it is new,look at xp was up to service pack 3,and i liked that over Windows Vista,almost,accept for like you say,aero glass affect,which still in Windows 7 as u say not 8.So i asked,what do u think of Asus for desktop systems?

Asus has a very good reputation.
Personally i never used one,but i know several people who have Asus laptops,
and praise them,as good quality and reliable.

Of course you can come across a lemon in any brand(if you're unlucky enough).
What i would do before deciding on a particular brand or model,is to check out that particular forum
and read through the opinions(and any complaints) of those who have it.

So research before you buy,is the way to go.