Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer doesn't boot/doesn't show anything after power button

• Please log in to reply

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
By changing headers, I meant the slots where RAM is inserted.

Also I have checked for update on drivers and the only driver that needs an update is the graphic one.

I will try contacting transcend for now and seek their help.

Also I wanted to confirm something : when I inserted the RAM in the 2nd slot and there was nothing in the 1st slot nothing showed up on the monitor with the power on and the CPU running,no beeps - nothing, this implies that the RAM header is damaged, right?

Also I must apologize since it seems dsenette mentioned in his #2 post to try this but I misunderstood.

Edited by shubhamsen4, 22 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It does indeed tend to indicate that.

The answer lies in the question I asked before

Was the 1Gb in 2 x 512 or single channel with just one slot populated
Perhaps another relevant question is and my colleague touched on it - why is the old ram not available as presumably you have only just put the new ram in.
Was the old ram subject of a problem as against just an upgrade

If there were two sticks and you had a problem before, and then concluded that it may have been the ram sticks, then indeed it may well have been the ram slot.

Unlikely as it is, ensure the contacts in the slot are clean, do not use anything metal of course, normally a soft brush and a cocktail stick are ideal
If the slot was NOT used before and was full of dust, if the inside of the computer was dusty, then this MAY be the problem = however I think it unlikely

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple of weeks.

In reply to macboatmaster: what you suggested doesn't help. What really confuses me is that if only 1 of the 2 slots is damaged, then when I insert 2gb RAM in each of the slots why doesn't the computer boot?

shubhamsen4

shubhamsen4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a couple of weeks.

In reply to macboatmaster: what you suggested doesn't help.

Also even after I insert 2gb RAM in each of the slots the computer still doesn't boot. Why does this happen if only 1 of the 2 slots is damaged as I assumed earlier?

Edited by shubhamsen4, 09 November 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
shubhamsen4

Good to hear from you again

Also even after I insert 2gb RAM in each of the slots the computer still doesn't boot

IF and it is a rather large IF one of the slots is faulty then when ram is inserted this may well stop the computer booting.

I am a little unsure of how much of my post 15 regarding ram and the issues involved - you explored in full
especially the link I included with similar problems mentioned.

I have to admit that the exact details of where we are with this have escaped my memory :lol: :lol: (ram) since the 26 Oct, but on many motherboards if ONLY one stick of ram is inserted it must be in the first slot for the computer to boot.

I notice that dsenette, who replied to your topic is online and in fairness to you, as I only work on this site very occasionally now, being occupied on another one, I have sent him a PM drawing the topic to his attention, just in case he is no longer subscribed to the topic.

Good luck with it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF you've changed the ram settings in the bios as previously suggested, that seem to fix this specific issue elsewhere, then your best option is to contact the place you got the ram from and see what they suggest. their suggestion might be to return the RAM