Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No periphials or monitor..., bad MoBo?

• Please log in to reply

orcybap316

orcybap316

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks ago my son was cleaning and accidently got some liquid into my case on my connector from the PSU to the MoBo. The computer shut off and upon inspection, a pin on the 20 side of my 20+4 completely melted, but the pin on the MoBo side has just a little char on it. I recently go the money to start trying to get to parts and bought a new PSU first since it was more easily obtained. I decided to upgrade from a 600W cooler master silent pro to a 850W Thermaltake SMART M series. When I connected everything and turned it on it made a pop and a smoke smell for a brief second then no more smell, but all the lights, fans and GPUs started running like it was starting up (which is more than it did before)
However, the usb mouse, ps/2 keyboard, and monitor would not work. There were no beeps. If I unplug/replug in the mouse/keyboard, you can see their lights come on for an instance then back off.

My system was,

--ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
--2 SAPPHIRE 100286L Radeon HD 4860 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
--COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze
--Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

I replaced the 600W Cooler Master PSU with a,

Thermaltake - SMART Series 850-Watt ATX Power Supply

Everything I can find kind of points to my MoBo being fried from the start of the whole process and I should have changed them both at the same time. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

I was using proper ESD protection while changing parts.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: orcybap316

As the PSU is even powering up it may suggest that the pop and the smoke came from the MB and possibly a capacitor, please see the information at the attached link which will help you inspect your MB http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=195 please disregard any other product or service available at the link and be sure to disconnect all sources of power to the computer before you proceed.

Let us know the results of the inspection.