Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install vista update

• Please log in to reply

catholatho

catholatho

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
I have been trying to install vista update KB948465 via windows updates. I keep getting the error 800700C1. I have read some forums and tried the following fix:

Click Start,
Open an elevated command prompt.
.At the command prompt, type net stop wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
Type rmdir /s %windir%\softwaredistribution\wuredir, and then press ENTER.
Type net start wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
Try to install updates again.

Tried this twice and it hasn't worked; I then found this suggestion:

Write the code of the update you want in the search box at download.microsoft.com.

You should be able to download each update and install them.
After these steps your update center may start to work proper. Also check to see if you have auto updates turned on.Another thing to check is to look in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder to see if you have the same downloads there multiple times. If so you can delete the copies.

tried that and got the following error message:
ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT(0x800700c1)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Edited by catholatho, 25 October 2012 - 02:56 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That appears to be Vista SP2. Did you try downloading the stand alone version from here Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) then install it?

It's a large update (385+ MB so the download will take awhile. If you have a bad internet connection then it's possible it's getting corrupted during the download. I'm downloading it now and will get a MD5 check sum and post it here. You can compare it with what you download.

E:\sources\MD5SUM Programs\MD5Sums>md5sums d:\temp\Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright © 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[d:\temp\]
Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe 100% c9394fd32db15619328af4ff0315750a

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I tried that, but it is essentially exactly what I did before. Got the same error message: ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT(0x800700c1)

Sorry, don't know what a MD5 check sum is or how to do one so I can't compare, but anyway, still having trouble downloading this update.

Also, I just noticed in my update history that another update: Security Update for Windows Vista (KB978338) was also unsuccessful a week ago.

FYI have installed and run MBAM and it found 25 issues which I deleted. I use CC Cleaner usually and use it to clean my registry.

Cheers

Edited by catholatho, 25 October 2012 - 09:40 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
MD5 check sum is a hash generated from the file it runs against and is a way of making sure the file downloaded correctly. Click on the link in my previous post, click on Windows at the left then download

MD5sums 1.2 Generate MD5 hashes of files (with progress indicator)

You run it from a Command Prompt as I show in my previous post. Compare the result with what I show, it should be identical.

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
sorry, excuse my ignorance but I can't seem to make this work. I downloaded the MD5 sums and then ran it and the command prompt came up but then what do I do?

Also, as an update I found the following advice on a microsoft forum:
Method 1: Run the fixit for Windows update reset component
1. Please click on the link below.
http://support.micro...com/kb/KB971058
2 . Run the Fixit.
Restart the computer and please check for windows update.
Method 2:
Perform Clean Boot and check.

To help troubleshoot error message, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I tried both methods and still my update not installing, getting same error message: 800700C1
Thanks

Edited by catholatho, 26 October 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Lack of experience is not ignorance :lol:

Open a Command Prompt. The easiest way is to press Windows key (next to the left Ctrl key) + the R key. Type cmd and press Enter. What you will see is:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx>

Change to the folder you downloaded md5sums to. For example, if you downloaded it to the Downloads folder then

cd downloads and press Enter.

Hopefully you downloaded the SP2 file to the same Downloads folder, so you would enter

md5sums Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe

That will process the file and give you a check sum as I showed above. Should be the same s what I got.

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, so after the command box came up I entered downloads and it came back with:

'downloads' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.

By the way I did download the MD5sums into the downloads folder.

I typed downloads after this: C:\Users\xxxx>

Was that right?

What I've also done in the mean time is a sfc/scannow

results:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

That doesn't sound good.

Thanks for your help

Edited by catholatho, 26 October 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Downloads is a sub folder of your user account folder, so when you open a Command Prompt you should be at

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxx is your account name).

Then you type cd downloads and press Enter.

The prompt should now say C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\Downloads.

As for the SFC problem, no, that doesn't sound good. I think it's time to do a Repair Install. This does not touch your data, just reinstalls Vista. You need a Vista install DVD or flash drive. If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (32-bit or x86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you want to install.
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
There is no .iso to download, you download 3 files for X86 or X64. You activate Vista once it's installed.

X86:
  • X14-63542.exe
  • boot.wim
  • install.wim (this is the bigest one)
X64:
  • X14-63543.exe
  • boot.wim
  • install.wim (this is the biggest one)

Then as is stated on the site,

If you want to create a setup disc for clean installation, run the EXE file and it'll extract the required setup files in a folder which can be used to create a setup disc using a freeware given here.

Here is what I did, you can use the X86 version if that is what you need:

Downloaded the Vista X64 files.

install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

Double clicked on X14-63453.exe. It extracted all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extracted the files to a folder.

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (3,837,112KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created and tested a flash drive and it worked great.

Remember, use X86 if that is the version of Vista you currently have.

All this may sound complicated but if you walk through it step by step it's not. Ask if you have any questions.

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, so got to downloads (phew) then when I enter md5sums Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe I get the same message as before:'md5sums' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file.

As for the Repair Install I will try that today and let you know.

Thanks for all the help!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi catholatho, Ztruker,

If I may add my 2 cents, I'd like to point out the following. This is more than likely why there is registry corruption that is preventing the update from installing:

I use CC Cleaner usually and use it to clean my registry.

It is NEVER advisable to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

If you need a reliable temp cleaner, I have found that TFC by OldTimer is the best and safest to use!

Download TFC by Old Timer from here:
  • First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser![/li]
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.[/li]
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.[/li]
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete cleaning.[/li]
More info:
TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

Good luck with the repair install!

Donna :happy:

Advertisements

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Ztruker,
Thanks for all your help so far. So this is where I'm at: I followed your instructions on installing Vista, worked fine. I didn't enter my product key at the first prompt as I had read that this can interfere with installation (weirdly enough). So it all installed fine and then asked me to activate it. When I entered my product key (from sticker on bottom of laptop) it came back with this message:

The activation server determined the specified product key is in use

Er, yeah, I guess by the version of Vista I already have on my computer. Yikes, what now?!

Thanks in advance. :help: :help:

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
In the end I decided to run the update and yay, it installed no worries! Also, vista seems to be running perfectly even without the product key, so all good. Thanks so much for your help.
Cath

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you right click on Computer and select Properties. Does it say your copy of Vista is Genuine? If not then it's not activated and after a short period of time it will stop working.

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

It doesn't say it's genuine, but it doesn't say it's not.

Attaching a screenshot.
Cheers

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

It doesn't say it's genuine, but it doesn't say it's not. Oh, wait a sec, it does say I have 14 days to authenticate. [bleep], what do I do? When I start up the laptop there are two 'windows vista' to select from. I choose the one that is highlighted automatically but obviously I need to get rid of the other one so my security key works?

Attaching a screenshot.
Cheers

Edited by NeonFx, 13 November 2012 - 10:52 PM.
Removed attachment.