Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen & Shut down Issue

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have anything connected externally to your laptop?
Do you use a wireless mouse?

If yes to either then disconnect the device or use the touchpad for awhile and see what happens.

You should contact Western Digital gain and tell them the diagnostic failed. Hopefully they will send you another drive.

In the mean time I would start over one more time. Save your data or do an Image backup then do a Clean Install (with format) again.

Immediately install SP1 and all Windows Updates, checking Device Manger before and after each step to see when all device drivers have been installed.

Once all that is done, if things are working (no freeze) then restore your data and start installing software.

Advertisements

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I dont use anything wireless but the internet.

So you tell me that the hard drive is the problem? Is that the conclusion?

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, that's just a possibility based on what you said:

Hello I downloaded the diagnostic tool from Western Digitals original website. After an extended test, it told me there may be some bad sectors which could be repaired. Then I clicked on repair but it said failed/unavailable. After all it said that Test "FAILED".

Reinstalling Win 7 is just another possible way to fix this. If it's hardware then it won't but if it's something messed up in the operating system then it will.

I'll ask some of the other folk here to take a look at this thread, see if they have any other ideas.

ntlyke

ntlyke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay here is an update. After I checked the eventlog, there was a warning about wireless adapter, however the warning occurs at very slightly different time with the Kernel Issue. But I checked its driver and updated it. Since then it never freezes.

Its really weird because the warning and the Kernel Issue happened at very different time-spaces.

I also contacted WD Support to change my external and I guess they will.

At the moment it seems that the problem is solved and thanks for your help. Will keep you updated if something occurs.

Thanks!