Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and Unmountable_Boot_Volume

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I have a Gateway M675 PRR with Windows XP Pro that I purchased on Ebay in August. It was working fine. I had not used it for about a month and today I was updating Microsoft Security Essentials. When I got back to it it was continuously rebooting and came up with the BSOD and the message that it had an "Unmountable_Boot_Volume" and

STOP:0x000000ED (0867786900, OxC0000015, 0x000000000, 0x000000000)

I have an operating system disk from a similar Gateway model (Files on disk are from 2003) and I was able to get to a C: Prompt. I ran chkdsk /p and it stopped at 41% and said the "\$BitMap is corrupt and unreadable." It also said there are "one or more unrecoverable problems." I then ran chkdsk /r and it stopped at 41% and said there were "one or more unrecoverable problems."

Microsoft says the next step is "fixboot" but I was not sure I could use the old operating system disk since this system has XP3 on it. Nor was I sure what "fixboot" does.

What should I do now?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by joseph456, 27 October 2012 - 02:00 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't think fixboot or fixmbr will help but give them a try.

Sounds to me like the hard drive is defective.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Tried them both, did not work, pointed to a possible defective hard drive but I was wondering others have reported a similar problem and were able to fix it. What do you think of the comments at this post:

My link

http://www.geekstogo...en/page__st__75

Will try your recommendations for hard drive

Thanks.

Edited by joseph456, 27 October 2012 - 03:47 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I see there are a bunch of different solutions in that thread. Worth looking at each one in turn, you may get lucky.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
This is a Hitachi Travelstar drive. I downloaded and ran DTS. When I ran Quick Test it said that the operation completed successfully. When I ran the Advanced Test it completed than ran Smart Drive and gave me Error 0 x 72 "Defective Device" Technical Result Code 7200E6EE. "The drive may fail soon and should be replaced."

Is there now no question that the drive is bad or should I try the other options.

If I tried the "ntldr" option where would I copy it to since I cannot even get it to list a directory for the C drive?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you can't access the C: drive then there is no way to replace the file.

If this were my computer I would replace the drive and reinstall XP. I hope you have your data backed up as I don't think you are going to be able to save it.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
The Product Key for Windows XP Pro is on the computer however I did not receive an installation disk.

As I mentioned I have a disk with a similar laptop I purchased in 2004 which has Windows XP with SP1? I also have a Windows XP Pro disk that I purchased for another computer which has SP2. Should I use either one of these to install a new copy of Windows XP?. If I do, how long will it take to update it to SP3 as well as add current upgrades?

If I were to take a hard drive from another computer and place it into this one - to make sure that the harddrive is the issue - would it work?