Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus vs. Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Greetings,
My question is, Which is better, just getting antivirus software or Internet Security which includes Firewall protection? The time comes to renew my Antivirus license and I'm wondering about which brand is the best this year. I currently have Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 but I am thinking of getting Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 because it includes Firewall protection as well. In the past I was told that the Internet Security was not a good idea because it takes up too much hard drive space, on the other hand, with just the Antivirus I wouldn't have the firewall protection. I would have to use the Windows Firewall or get a seperate Firewall Protection software. I'm running Windows XP and a friend is running Windows 7 and we are looking to get one with a 3 user license. Help.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi,

For free antivirus and firewall programs, see the Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software topic at the top of the Applications forum. There are some excellent free programs available.

For a comparison of Firewalls and Security Suites, see the Matousec Comparison Site.

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks godawgs! This helps. I will most likely go with Kaspersky because it works so well and Matousec gives the Internet Security suite a 93% rating, which is excellent. However, I would like to know if it would be better to get Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky or another brand Firewall or get the Internet Security Suite?
Thanks for quick response.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
The bottom line for me is it's a personal preference based on your needs and internet habits.
I use MSE and the Windows firewall, but I don't do the internet surfing and game playing that might require a firewall with outbound and inbound capabilities.
So that's a call you need to make. ;)