Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reloading OS into Password Locked Computer

• Please log in to reply

GalleryGuy

GalleryGuy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was given a desktop Dell GX260 series computer recently that must have belonged to a school at one time. The fellow that gave it to me had the password to LOG ON into Windows but once inside I noticed this is not a normal windows 2000 professional version! It's all geared to special educational programs and everything else is locked & Blocked! the internet, The Control Panel, Everything! No visable way of making any changes under the hood! I foolishly assumed I could reload the computer with a normal version of windows and it would be usable, However whenever I try to get into anything that would allow a new Operating System to be installed like the CD-Rom drive, it displays a box requiring a PASSWORD which I do not have! and neither does the former owner. Is this thing now only good for using it as an end table, or is there any known way to get new OS in it, ..without going nuts!

Thanks
GalleryGuy

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That computer is all locked up. So, I assume you tried booting from the CD drive with a windows CD? And I can assume that it wanted a password?
Can you get in to the bios? Maybe a bios reset might do the trick.
Also, does it have a floppy drive? If so you can try creating a bootable floppy on another computer that has "dban" on it and then wipe the hard drive.

GalleryGuy

GalleryGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

That computer is all locked up. So, I assume you tried booting from the CD drive with a windows CD? And I can assume that it wanted a password?
Can you get in to the bios? Maybe a bios reset might do the trick.
Also, does it have a floppy drive? If so you can try creating a bootable floppy on another computer that has "dban" on it and then wipe the hard drive.

Thanks For your help! I have tried just about everything! Cd-Rom drive is not even visible in the Bios Lineup, But I managed to get into SYSTEM SETUP and I see that the CD drive has been disabled, it is [unchecked] but again I can't adjust anything without a password! I am assuming same goes for the floppy drive but I will check further. I think the intention was to stop employees from using the machine for their own purposes.

Edited by GalleryGuy, 31 October 2012 - 08:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would like to suggest something with this.
Since you have access to the original owner I would suggest having them wipe the drive and take care of the bios password issue. Since they would be the administrator of the system they should have done this before giving you the system . This will allow you to then install a clean legal version of your OS that would be licensed to you and not to the school.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi GG, some info. here that might be helpfull.

http://support.dell....eat.htm#1101341

GalleryGuy

GalleryGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank You deggitt that information LINK may be helpful, I'll have to read all through it, but it looks as though it is dealing with computer security issues.

@ rshaffer61 The fellow had this in his closet for years after the school replaced them with new computers, But he hardly remembered the User password! The under the hood Password was most likely set by some school official who is probably long retired! That's why I'm asking you guys, ...as I have never seen anything like this before! ...if its impossible to reload the OS, then I'll just use it to hold the door open!

Edited by GalleryGuy, 01 November 2012 - 05:57 AM.