Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant figure out best way to link laptop video to tv(vga to hdmi?)?

• Please log in to reply

Sunnyrsideup

Sunnyrsideup

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This may be entirely too easy of a question for computer buffs but unfortunately its beyond me. I would love nothing more than to watch videos from my laptop on my tv. UNFORTUNATELY.. my laptop has a vga port, but no hdmi port-and my tv has no vga port but has an hdmi port. I TTHINNKKKK they both have a video s port, and they both have usb ports. I was just about to buy a "vga to hdmi adaptor" off line and then read a review that a simple vga to hdmi adaptor would not make it possible to watch video from laptop on tv so i thought i should back it up and ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Im looking for the best quality of video option to do this, but if thats not possible if i have to id take subpar video quality for anything that would actually work lol. I DO realise that i would need speakers to plug into the headphone jack, and thats not a problem, i have it covered. I hope someone can help me out with a solution please????- Thank you-

Advertisements

AmandaSue82

AmandaSue82

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I second this question, and normally i would tell you not to feel bad but i am too dumb about this stuff to assume you aren't either. GtG,..HELP

XeonFlare

XeonFlare

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

This may be entirely too easy of a question for computer buffs but unfortunately its beyond me. I would love nothing more than to watch videos from my laptop on my tv. UNFORTUNATELY.. my laptop has a vga port, but no hdmi port-and my tv has no vga port but has an hdmi port. I TTHINNKKKK they both have a video s port, and they both have usb ports. I was just about to buy a "vga to hdmi adaptor" off line and then read a review that a simple vga to hdmi adaptor would not make it possible to watch video from laptop on tv so i thought i should back it up and ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Im looking for the best quality of video option to do this, but if thats not possible if i have to id take subpar video quality for anything that would actually work lol. I DO realise that i would need speakers to plug into the headphone jack, and thats not a problem, i have it covered. I hope someone can help me out with a solution please????- Thank you-

You would be correct that, if you were just looking into cables, that this is not an ideal solution. You could always look into something like this:

http://www.amazon.ca...pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

Although, if you have good LAN bandwidth, why not just look into something like an Apple TV or setting up a home media server? You would probably be in that area cost wise by the time you are done looking from the VGA to a compatible TV output anyway and you get all the extra functionality that those options bring.

Edited by XeonFlare, 28 November 2012 - 03:21 PM.