Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Required files for Windows

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have this notice popping up all the time on my computer: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now. I don't have the Service pack 3 CD. Never have. Now my machine says it is on here in Add or Remove Programs. But, nothing I have tried stops this. Can anyone help with this situation? Thank You.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Sharon Lee

Try removing the SP3 update;

Removing bad updates then reinstalling them;

Go into Add\Remove Programs
Make sure you click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update and remove it.
Then download and install SP3 from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Let us know how you get on.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have tried to remove this and it tells me this cannot be removed. There are several SP3 updates on there. Does one need to keep the SPC on their machine. Is it important? After going to Google before I came here there are so many with the same problem and no one knows what to do. I come here for I know you help me out. I do try to solve the problem but when unable to I come back here. I have found 2 updates for SP3 One is on Office 2003 12/6/2011. The other is at the end and just says Windows XP service Pack 3.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you take a screenshot of what you describe and post it with your next reply;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Good morning, I would try to copy that pop up but it is not there now so it will come then I shall do what you want. I did copy word for word what it said when I posted here. Once again tried to remove SP3 and says I cannot remove this file. I have to smile for at times this machine is quite the challenge. When it pops up again I shall follow your instructions. Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

We will check the screenshot as and when one is available.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Well, it is back again so I can try what you want and put it on here for you. I knew it would be back.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It seems to be coming on and then going off again. Never did this before. I shall get the screenshot when it holds still. Thank you for your time.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It just won't do it. I have done this before and it worked but now I get my entire desktop in the picture. It is on the desktop but it is the pop up that is there. I shall fix my husband some lunch and try again later. Let me ask you, you are wanting what pop says, right. My add or remove programs is full and if I knew what I needed to keep and let the others go, I would. I have this down to 65.6 Free space now and it was working better than it has for a very long time. Now this. Went and got me a laptop yesterday for I have spent many hours on here and I will continue for I want to fix it. I thank you for you help and time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

my add or remove programs is full

This is what I would like a screenshot of, do not worry though as there are other means and for now can you please check what service pack is installed (for reference ignore office 2003 updates for now) "how to" click Start, type winver in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to open an information window.

I will help you to free up some storage space when done here or along the way.

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I searched every thing and got: No results to display.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Lets try another approach;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Question: How do I “Run as Administrator”? I can go to IE for it is not closed. Hi rshaffer, how are you?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Question: How do I “Run as Administrator”? I can go to IE for it is not closed. Hi rshaffer, how are you?

You do not have to as you are running XP the run as administrator guidance is only if you have Vista or Windows 7.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I keep getting the message that Internet Explorer cannot upon this. I am batting a thousand today. Could it be the machine and not me?