Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB to HDMI adaptor not working?

• Please log in to reply

AxeGrinder65

AxeGrinder65

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there... never posted here before, but here goes...

I bough a Micro USB to HDMI adaptor, which is now connecting my desktop to my TV (I have no problems doing this with my laptop which has built in HDMI output) via a cpl of other cables

When I try to connect the Desktop to the TV, TV screen goes blank... windows doesnt pick up a second monitor, however, there is definately some sort of connecition... Is USB capable of carrying HDMI signal? the USB port is ver 3.0

Anyone got any ideas what might be up?

I'm running Win7 Pro on both PC's.. all intel core hardware... TV is a sharp Aquos

Advertisements

AxeGrinder65

AxeGrinder65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there... never posted here before, but here goes...

I bough a Micro USB to HDMI adaptor, which is now connecting my desktop to my TV (I have no problems doing this with my laptop which has built in HDMI output) via a cpl of other cables

When I try to connect the Desktop to the TV, TV screen goes blank... windows doesnt pick up a second monitor, however, there is definately some sort of connecition... Is USB capable of carrying HDMI signal? the USB port is ver 3.0

Anyone got any ideas what might be up?

I'm running Win7 Pro on both PC's.. all intel core hardware... TV is a sharp Aquos

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what adapter did you buy? did it come with drivers or software? a USB device won't automatically just start spitting out a video signal unless there's some software telling it to do so.

AxeGrinder65

AxeGrinder65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ahh... ok, no, no software... unit a cheep chinese affair... MHL micro USB to HDMI adaptor... fleebay job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=150904550269

I'll msg the seller and find out some more...

If you have any experience of these... info would be great?

It doen't work with my HTC mobile either... screen just goes blank on TV

Cheers

Ian

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B005JT2S5W this is basically the same device...if you read the descriptions towards the bottom you'll find

What is MHL? MHL stands for Mobile High-Definition Link. It allows you to connect your MHL enabled device to a TV, projector, PC or other HDMI device. This Fosmon quality MHL adapter can support up to 1080p HD video and digital audio while simultaneously providing power to your mobile device. You will be able to watch movies, home videos and pictures, or listen to music from your smartphone or tablet right on your home theater system. The adapter easily connects to the USB 2.0 Micro-B port of a MHL enabled device. Use your HDMI cable to connect the MHL to HDMI adapter to an HDTV or an HDMI home theater system. The MHL adapter features an USB Micro-B (female) power input. Connect the charger supplied with your mobile device to the MHL adapter to power your mobile device while it is in use.

so, that's really an MHL adapter, so the the one micro USB looking plug needs to go into an MHL device, so it's not really USB, it's bascially HDMI going over a USB shaped port (that probably also acts as a USB port on those types of devices)

i've got a droid rzrmaxx and it's got a separate mini HDMI port. looks like the phone types that this thing is designed for use their USB data/charging port as an MHL port as well. the USB port on the side of the adapter you have is just to push power through the adapter since it's using the same micro usb port