Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help-Computer keeps freezing & rebooting

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is ok like I said I see two drivers for sure that are out of date.

Advertisements

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I ran drivermax and it found 13 drivers that needed updates. I'm not able to capture the info with printscreen for you to see for some reason. Anyway I will try to update at least the previous 2 that were identified. Would you like to see a list of the other drivers?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please. Then I can direct you which ones to get in what order.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK, I updated a couple of drivers, and the computer is running way worse. It takes forever to boot into XP and freezes up quickly. I will try to see if I can remove the updates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you update the drivers that pc pit stop showed or were there different ones?
You never posted screenshots of the drivermax findings so that I could direct to in what order to install them.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Do you think my problem could be with my motherboard/IDE&SATA controllers? My problems appear to be very random and appear to get worse the longer the computer stays on (heat?).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We can check the heat with two different programs. What about my previous question?

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed. Please get a screenshot and attach of the temps and voltages for me please.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I installed a VIA SATA RAID driver but I did not do it using PC pitstop. My PC ran so bad I removed it and replaced it with the original driver. I also updated the NVIDIA G force driver that was not listed by PC pitsop. That is the only one I left installed. Will download Speedfan and Hardware monitor when I get home.

Thanks,

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here is a little tip that usually speeds up xp machines when nothing else will.

Hit the Start button then Right Click My computer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Properties>>>>>>>>>>>
Harwdare Tab>>>>>>>>>>>>>Device Manager.
Scroll down to the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers Left click the + to the left of the drivers.
Right Click and uninstall all of your Primary IDE drivers there most likely will be more than one of the Primary IDE Drivers Make sure and un-install All of them prior to rebooting.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK here are the attachments.

Attached Thumbnails

• HM.JPG
  • SF.JPG

Advertisements

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Man, just noticed the Temp 3 on speedfan go way up. Attached is another screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• SF2.JPG

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Have you tried the primary ide uninstall ?

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No, not yet. I'll try it.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Rockmilk, The attached file shows what I see when I follow your directions. Do you want me to click uninstall from this box?

Attached Thumbnails

• primary-ide.JPG

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Yes and you will be prompted to reboot please do so.
After the reboot you will be notified with a found new hardware prompt and you will be asked to reboot again do so and test the machine.

Edited by rockmilk, 20 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.