Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring old options & data after XP repair installation

• Please log in to reply

Splott

Splott

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello chaps,

Ive just reinstalled my version of XP using the repair option after reading one of your fine tutorials, because after 4 or so years of use i have lost sound and everything has got a little buggy with registry problems etc.

The sound problem was solved as soon as i reinstalled my drivers on the new install and now i want to return my PC to the options and desktop etc i had prior to the new installation. Could i just copy folders into a USB for example; Firefox options and configurations to keep my bookmarks etc and certain folders so that i can have my shortcuts and start menu programs back?

At the moment all of my data from my other install are in some confusing folders and i can only find them using a file search program, could i cut and paste these into the systems folders instead of a hidden backup folder for easy access? I also noticed that i don't have any of my anti-viruses installed (or they arnt working,) will i just need to install again or are they already installed in the backup folders so the PC doesn't recognize them?

Basically, even though i found one of your threads useful, it didn't contain anything about 'using' your new install and as everything is back to system settings i find it a little pointless if all of my data isnt actually 'on' my computer but in folders connecting to my old install i have. Is my repair install connected to my old install? if i deleted my other version of Xp would the 'link' be cut and all of my files be lost?

Here is the link to the thread mentioned for reference clicky.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Splott and welcome to the forum,
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your newly repaired installation of Windows XP.
If you followed the tutorial accurately then the repair should not have altered your data files (Word docs, spreadsheets photos etc) however most likely it will have put your Windows updates back to a very early stage and you may need to reinstall your Service Packs as well as doing all critical/urgent Windows updates again.
Are you sure that you actually carried out a repair install and not a parallel(additional) install?
Regards
paws

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I never got the option to press 'r' for the repair option, wouldn't an additional install not keep your data like a new install? I have most things working now anyway as i was able to copy options from my other documents & settings folders into my current install. Will i able to delete my other install without effecting the one im using now? They seem pretty connected and anything i delete is deleted on both installs. My hard drive is only at 400mb so im hoping deleting the other install will restore me to my previous hard drive space.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Splott, Ok I see what you have done..it looks as though you didn't do a Repair Installation of Windows XP but did an additional installation, so you now have two versions of the same operating system on the same partition.

wouldn't an additional install not keep your data like a new install

Yes...it keeps your old data..(usually!)

You can leave things as they are, or if disc space is an issue then remove the original copy of Windows AFTER MAKING SURE that your backup is 100% effective,accurate, comprehensive, and with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.
I stress this because folks sometimes remove the wrong installation!,so be very careful.

Here's some background and instructions on what steps you can consider taking:
look at No 20 in particular.
http://www.michaelst.../xpfaq.html#020
Regards
paws